Evaporated Milk Has Brown Tint

I was given some evaporated milk and when opened it had a brown tinted color. I did thoroughly shake the can before opening. I looked at a web page about evaporated milk, and I could not see an answer. It was not passed the "use by" date on the can. It had a generic label but when I read on the back, it said Safeway Milk Company. Any ideas? Thanks!

Oneta

It should be perfectly safe to use.

I dont use evap that much and am always a bit shocked each time I see the color. I always expect it to be the color more or less of cream and it isnt.

The fact that more than half of the water has been removed and the time/temperature involved in sterilizing it makes it darker.

It is hard to know how brown you think it looks. You can kinda get an idea of the color on this pic:

http://www.verybestbaking.com/products/carnation/evap/default.aspx

Safeway is reputable, there have been no recent recalls and it is not past the date so it should be fine. If you still feel uneasy about using it then you are only out a 50 cents to a dollar as that is the the sales price this time of year. If your gut is telling you to not use it then don't use it.

Don't worry about it! I use evap milk all the time. It's a staple here in my home. It varies in color from one brand and can to another!

I had some to turn that way. I keep my can goods in my garage on a metal rack with shelves. The heat from the summer in there can be very extreme with it shut up. My canned milk turned that color from the heat. I've sense changed things around.

It should be very safe to use. Evaporated milk will be darker than regular milk.

I recently opened some past-dated evaporated milk & it was brownish in color. I have found evaporated milk is usually a deep cream color, so to me the brown indicates that it has deteriorated. Maybe you could call the company's # on the can?

I have found that evaporated milk if it start's to go bad, you can tell by shaking the can as the milk begins to thicken. If it does not shake well through it out. And yes different companies the color of the milk is different.

I read to not throw it out, dilute it and use it in the garden to improve soil, there are instructions on how to do that on the web

Oneta,log onto:stilltasty.com

Great site for all foods.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Food Safety AdviceNovember 19, 2008
Scoop of brown rice. Freezing brown rice.
Freezing Brown Rice
Mug of slighty lumpy Greek yogurt.
Greek Yogurt Recipes
Prescription Sunglasses
Removing the Tint from Prescription Sunglasses
 Evaporated Milk
Substitutions for Milk in Recipes
🎉
🎄