Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Moving Duck Eggs

Can I safely move a mallard hen's eggs to another location and will she continue to sit on them?

By Robert from Kinder, LA

By Judi [17]05/06/2010

It's not likely that you can move wild duck nests and have the mother stay with them.

By raisa05/05/2010

I have some duck eggs in an incubator and they are due to hatch in 4 days time. I have not seen or felt any movement when I have been turning the eggs and I wondered if this is normal or if I should be worried?

Here are questions related to Moving Duck Eggs.

Question: Duck Laid an Egg

Two ducks have been hanging my swimming pool. Last night the female laid an egg in the pool. I fished the egg out of the pool without touching it and put it in a grass insert for a flower basket. Will the ducks care for it or should I just throw the egg away?

By Brian from Setauket, NY

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Moving Duck Eggs

I need to move a nest with duck eggs in it. Where and how can I make new nest?

By Poe 135

RE: Moving Duck Eggs

If these are wild ducks, most likely they will not survive a move. If they are pet ducks, pick up the entire thing and move it with the momma present so she will see where it is going to. Move it a little at a time. Even then she may not like the new location and quit sitting. Sometimes we can move our ducks and chickens within the coop area, other times they say forget it and quit sitting. Good luck. (04/23/2009)

By mom-from-missouri

RE: Moving Duck Eggs

A few years back there was a wild duck nest with eggs under a bush right in the middle of our grocery store parking lot. The DNR was notified and the nest was not moved until all the eggs were hatched. I couldn't believe that for weeks no one touched those eggs. After they all hatched, the DNR moved them to a safe place. I suggest you call the DNR or local wild animal refuge organization. (04/24/2009)

By antiquefreeque