Start Hope Chests for Your Children

To begin teaching the value of thriftiness to your kids, start a hope chest for them. Instead of tossing things out to the garage sale, you can imprint in their minds and hearts, that they have a future, and home development, cooking, and saving, are in their control now.

Instead of tossing out an old teacup and saucer, wrap it up and give it to your child for their Hope Chest. When you purchase new tools for the kitchen, give the used item to your child to save. Children enjoy cooking and sewing, and planning for the future, with small concrete items and ideas within their reach.

By mrsmcgaha from Winnie, TX

It would be wonderful if more people still did things like this that were standard in the days of old!

While I agree wholeheartedly with your idea, I wouldn't dream of giving my child used items for her/his hope chest. I started a hope chest for my daughter when she was 3yrs old. If I needed a new utensil, I would buy two and give one to her to put in her "box". We would write down in "her" notebook what was added. By the time she married, she needed nothing for the kitchen. Had everything already. As soon as she started working as a teenager, she would add stuff herself. I just started it off. I'm doing the same for my son. Whether he marries or not, one day he will move out and at least he will have the basics already to hand. Once he starts working, he can add stuff himself.

You are so right. Maybe the used stuff could just be in a basket to play with. I love the idea for the boys. They will also have needs, and kitchens and tools. That is so true.

I just want to mention one thing about used items with all sincerity. There are some things that will be useful and, in the end, sentimental in the years to come. My grama and grampa's old fashioned tiny flat almost teardrop shaped potato peeler/grater was placed in my hope chest (it had been passed down, used, to my dad and mom when they were first married) as well as my parents first box peeler/grater and their first electric hand mixer. They all still work and I still have and use them all and would be heartbroken if any one of the three ever came up missing. It was 39 years ago when I moved away from home. There were a couple more used items in that chest that I still have but those three mentioned mean the most to me. I guess my point is that some used items should be passed on in a Hope Chest. :-)

I guess she meant used as in nothing special. I too have an antique quilt from my grandmother, and I will be passing it on with love. Thanks Deeli

Understood. I think your tip is awesome and I love it that you will be including your grama's quilt. I gave you a thumbs up when first reading your tip and I hope oodles of others did too. :-)

This is what we called a 'bottom drawer' when I was young. I think the idea is way out of fashion now - more's the pity.

Marg from England.

Old Chest
Starting a Hope Chest
Parenting General Parenting AdviceFebruary 11, 2011
Styrofoam Ice Chest
Crafts Using Styrofoam Ice Chests
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
Man Painting Wood Furniture Without Sanding or Priming
Painting Wood Furniture Without Sanding or Priming
Orange Oriental Poppies
Growing Oriental Poppies
🎉
🎄