Starting a Hope Chest

Old Chest
Traditionally young girls began collecting items in their hope chest for their future wedding and married life. You can continue this practice and even update it to match contemporary practices. This is a guide about starting a hope chest.

To begin teaching the value of thriftiness to your kids, start a hope chest for them. Instead of tossing things out to the garage sale, you can imprint in their minds and hearts, that they have a future, and home development, cooking, and saving, are in their control now.

Instead of tossing out an old teacup and saucer, wrap it up and give it to your child for their Hope Chest. When you purchase new tools for the kitchen, give the used item to your child to save. Children enjoy cooking and sewing, and planning for the future, with small concrete items and ideas within their reach.

By mrsmcgaha from Winnie, TX

I started a hope chest for each of my sons when they were twelve. Now if they don't marry immediately upon leaving home,they will have a lot of things they will need for their home. At Christmas, one of their present's is always something for their hope chest. Last year my oldest received a waffle maker and recipe's for it.This is something he said he wanted. I found a nice set of cookware on clearance and have put it aside for a present for this year. I picked up a coffee maker at the local thrift store for 2$ and after making sure it worked, this also went in his hope chest. A well stocked Hope Chest will save him money when he starts out on his own or if he marries it will save the couple from having to purchase a lot of household items they will need for their home.They each have a recipe book in their chest and when we have a food they really like, I write out the recipe and add it to their recipe book.