Homemade Nutmeg Chest Cold Remedy

Category Home Remedies
This is a guide about making a homemade nutmeg chest cold remedy. This pungent spice is thought to provide some relief for a chest cold. Here is an old recipe to try, the next time that you are sick.

My dear old great-grandmother, born in 1870's, used a nutmeg poultice for cold congestion relief. I have used it too and it works!

Use a piece of cotton flannel, about 1 foot square, and smear lard or goose grease on half of it. Sprinkle generously with nutmeg spice and fold the clean side over this. Heat or warm (I use my microwave today). Pin to your nightclothes over the chest. There is something about its pungency that has given relief for five generations.

By Evelyn from Greeley, CO

Hi never heard of this one but will try it~~I remember when my Mom was alive she did a mustard plaster one Thanx