In Memory of Gentle Benjamin (Chow - Retriever Mix)

contest winner icon

Gentle Benjamin Louis Stephens was 18 years old. He was a Chow and Golden Retriever. I got Gentle Ben from a shelter in Pennsylvania; he was a 4 week old beaten puppy and his name was B.D for Battered Dog which we, of course, changed.

Benny was a amazing boy, my best friend he will always be. I wanted to share with everyone what a great boy he was and is. Ben was born in '95 and has been through all my ups and downs life has given me. I have given a lot to him, but he in return has given me so much more. I had to put him to sleep on February 4, 2011 (the day before my birthday). He was old and in pain and his quality of life was getting bad. As much as it hurt I had to let him go for I am not a selfish person.

I stayed the whole time with him while his journey ended. I laid him on the floor on the blankets and sat and petted him while he got a shot to put him to sleep. I could not bear him going through this alone as I did not want the last person in his life for him to see was a doctor. He went to sleep and I closed his eyes for him as my eyes were full of tears and running down my face. It is a very sad thing to go through when you lose a loved one.

So, I just wanted to share with you the memory of Gentle Ben a wonderful boy. RIP Gentle Benjamin Louis Stephens you will be missed dearly. I love you always and forever. Mommy.

By Sandra

I'm there with you as I've gone through this too. Very difficult decision letting go of your pet. He was a pretty boy. I was with my dog when he was put to sleep and took him for a ride around town and he was given a treat at the bank. I had to stop and get gas in town and as I came back to the car, there he was in the back seat watching for me. I knew he was suffering and holding onto him longer was not the best idea though I wished it could have been. Mocha was my first cocker spaniel and ever since; that's the only breed I've owned.

i am so sorry for your lost the same thing happen to me i lost my grandma monday night and i was in tears she was everything to me we did everything togther i want her back so bad but she is in heaven with the angels i miss her so much and i have to go to her furenal tommorow after school and i dont feel like going because i dont want to cry so much it will be better if she was alive with me but again im very sorry for you lost

We sat with our beloved, Brandi, a chihuahua mix, last year as she graciously said goodbye. She was a stray that came into our lives when our 8 yr son truly needed a friend. He was 20 when she had to go. It was so hard to say goodbye, but she left us peacefully and with a heart full of memories. You will always have your memories of Gentle Benjamin, too. God bless.

A pet is a gift to us and should be loved and appreciated. But sadly there comes a time when we have to love them enough to do the right thing, and let them go peacefully. It is never easy, but eventually you will remember only the good times. What a sweet little face! God bless.

What a precious boy! I know your pain. I lost my sweet Suzie two years ago and I still cry tears for her. She was a lab retriever mix and my best girl. Suzie had a cancerous tumor in her chest and we had to put her down at the age of 11. Along with the unconditional love they give us, we have the responsibility to do what we have to do, no matter how much it hurts.

Dearest Sandra,

Please know that I know exactly how you feel. It is very painful to lose a precious family member... We have lost our fur babies through out the years and it never gets any easier. We were always with our babies because I wanted them to know that we would be there until the end. I didn't want them to be looking at a stranger. We miss them terribly but we know they are now pain free and running and playing while they are at the Rainbow Bridge. Your baby is just adorable. Hugs. Sherri, Tucker, Bears, Pie-Pie & Lily

What a beautiful boy and how lucky you were to spend all those years together. Iif only every other canine could live this perfect life the world would be a better place. He will be waiting for you across the "rainbow bridge". God bless.

I know how you feel my dog Bouncer also was put down at 18. I stayed with him though it too. I didn't want him to be scared. He was deaf and blind and I couldn't bear him dying alone in a strange place and people he didn't know. I still remember it like it was yesterday. I kept my hand in front of his nose so he would know that I was there. It was more than losing a pet. He was a wonderful member of our family. The kids grew up with him. I don't want to disrespect a human loss but it was like losing a son.

I've never seen a chow/retreiver mix. Those big chow feet! And that incredibly beautiful, sweet old face! It looks like Gentle Ben was aptly named.

I'm so sorry for your loss, I know you have a big hole in your heart that will never be truly filled.It's so hard to let our beloved pets/family members go, and so painful to stay there with them through the end. But better for it to be quiet,painless & relatively fear-free with their beloved human there with them. I think the worst end I ever had with a pet was when my beloved Sassy siamese that had grown up with me had some kind of seizures or something for over 15 minutes & couldn't breathe, I held her through it all,nearly hysterical & with tears ouring down my face while I told her over & over how sorry I was that I couldn't do anything to help her! It still hurts 25 years later!

May your pain & sadness be healed with good memories of your sweet, loving gentle Ben & the many years of happiness you had with each other!

For real 18 years what a blessing. My corgi 14 years and I did hold him when I had to let him him go. It was not easy but, he was my best bud-had to be with him to the end of this life here on earth. It's a tear jerker for sure. In time please take in another they need homes and lovin'.

I can feel how much this has hurt you, but I'm hoping you'll find another good dog to love, and that your Gentle Benjamin has found other animals to love and play with as he waits for you. Don't waste a minute. He would want you to share the love you had for one another with a new one that needs you.

Thank you for sharing his story and photo with us. I am so sorry for your pain.

MisMachado

I'm sorry for your loss. They become members of the family, and sometimes closer than humans. I feel your pain, we had to put down one of our "babies" 3 years ago, and think of her often. Eventually you will be ready for a new companion, it helps the hurt.

Thank You all for the votes. I miss him dearly and he will be donating his winnings to the local animal shelter

Here it is All most November and I still read all these prayers thank you all he is missed everyday.

Very Sweet...how thankful we are for those amazing animals that bring so much joy that we can remember in fondness what they brought to our lives which we deem greater than the pain of no longer having days with them.

I am so sorry for your loss I don't know what it feels like to loose a loved one like that, But I don't know what I would do if I lost my beloved little cat Mishka, I hope that you will only remember the good times with him, and Know That he is over The Rainbow Bridge looking out for you, Happily running in huge fields with lots of treats and Friends, xx

Chow Chow Mix
Chow Chow Mix Photos
Pets Pet PagesFebruary 20, 2011
"Puppy Love" Puppy Chow
Puppy Chow Snack Recipes
Chicken Chow Mein
Chicken Chow Mein Casserole Recipes
Simple square block quilt made from vintage fabric.
Making a Memory Quilt
Honey the Dog at the Top of a Large Hill
Chow Chow Breed Information and Photos
🎉
🎄