Chow Chow Breed Information and Photos

Category Chow Chow
The Chow, originally bred in China, is an intelligent and loyal dog breed. This page contains Chow Chow breed information and photos.

Breed Description: The Chow Chow has a broad, flat skull, small triangular ears and a thick double coat suitable for harsh weather. This dog breed has a strong personality and is usually loyal to only a select few people. Two of the breed's most distinctive features are its nearly straight hind legs and its bluish-black tongue.

Group: Non-Sporting group.

Purpose of Breed: Guard dog and pulling carts.

Country of Origin: China

Average Size: Chow Chows average 18 - 22 inches tall and weigh 45-75 pounds.

Color(s): The Chow Chow comes in five different colors: red (light golden to deep mahogany), black, blue, cinnamon (light fawn to deep cinnamon) and cream.

Coat Type: Chow Chows have either a rough or smooth coat. The rough coat is most common and has a longer and coarser outer coat. The smooth coat has a shorter and sleeker outer coat. Both types are double-coated and have a dense, woolly undercoat..

Grooming: This breed is susceptible to eczema, so the coat requires regular grooming-especially the mane around the collar. Extra brushing is needed during shedding season and standard care should be exercised for ears, pads and nails. The eye should be monitored closely for signs of trouble.

Exercise Needs: Chow Chows need lots of daily exercise and attention to maintain a healthy mental and physical state. This dog has a highly independent nature and should live in a house with a fenced yard.

Temperament: This breed is intelligent, independent and tends to be extremely loyal to only a few people. This breed is not easily dominated and if not properly trained, the Chow Chow can be unfriendly toward people and very aggressive toward other dogs. The owner of a Chow Chow needs to be a consistently calm and assertive leader. Chows are best acquired as puppies and need to be raised with a loving and patient, but firm, hand.

Common Ailments: Highly susceptible to eye disorders, skin disorders and also prone to hip dysplasia.

Life Expectancy: Averages 8-12 years.

Trivia: Martha Stewart owns Chow Chows and often featured them on her show.

More Information: Chow Chow Club, Inc.

Videos

Here is a great informational video from Animal Planet about the Chow Chow breed. It includes general information, history about the breed, and tips for raising a Chow Chow.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this page.

This is Honey, we adopted her as a puppy in March 2008, she's about 2 years old now. We believe she is a full Chow Chow. We found her through Petfinder and the NW Chow Chow Rescue, located in Oregon. There were several other puppies and adult dogs that were rescued at the same time. Rocco, ThriftyFun's "lion dog" was taken from the same home and was in pretty poor shape. Honey was rescued when she was young enough that she has no ill effects from her original home.

We were originally looking at an older dog, maybe just out of puppyhood, because we know it can be harder to find them homes. But we were "talked" into Honey because we were a good, stable family and a good fit for her. We promised to get her fixed as soon as she was old enough. She also needed to have entropian eye surgery, which is very common with Chows.

Honey is a great dog. Whenever we take her to the vet or the pet store or the groomer, someone comments on her mellow happy disposition. They say she is a golden retriever in a Chow body. She attracts attention where ever we go. It feels like we are escorting a celebrity around. I call her my Chow Chow Princess. When someone comes over, her tail explodes like a spray of fireworks.

She is the most catlike dog I have ever met. She chases fluff and insects and eats them. She will hunker down near the heating registers and watch it blow up bits of dust. It is pretty funny. She loves when we do laundry, because stray lint or threads will fall to the ground. She also likes the vacuum for the same reason.

I was never much of a dog person before Honey. She has totally converted me.

Merry Christmas!

By Jess in Hillsboro, OR

Honey chow chow

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 6

Your Pet's Age
5

Your Pet's Breed
Chinese Chow Chow

How and when did you get your pet?
In November of 2014 I had someone threatening to kill me. My sister recommended I find a Chow Chow breeder. They are loyal and protective of their families. I found Striker online and he was flown from Lindale, Texas at 9 weeks old! He has been my faithful, loving, sweet companion!

What does your pet like to do for fun?
He loves, loves to travel anywhere!

Do you have anything else to share about your pet?
He earned his AKC Good Citizen Award and The Chow Chow Community Award.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 4

Pebbles is an 11 year old Chow. This picture was taken on Christmas Day. Pebbles was given to my husband and I as a wedding gift. She likes to go for rides in the van, and going visiting our kids and grandkids.

Pebbles the Chow sitting on the Floor Looking up at the Camera

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 11

Honey is 3 years old and is a Chow Chow. We got Honey as a puppy a few years ago from the Northwest Chow rescue. Honey loves long morning walks, and she especially likes going to the beach.

Honey Chow

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 6

It has been awhile since everyone has been updated on Rocco, one of Thriftyfun's office pets. Here are some recent photos of Rocco, before and after his new haircut.

Rocco (Chow Chow)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 4

Honey was rescued from a breeder when she was a puppy. Although many of the dogs who were rescued at the same time were poorly cared for and abused, Honey was young enough that she just needed a family to love her. She was an adorable bundle of fluff when we adopted her at 3 months old.

Honey (Chow Chow) - Honey on the sand

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 3

Tootsie is a 6 year old Chow Chow. I searched the internet; she is Martha Stewart's Paw Paw's Granddaughter. I drove to Connecticut and picked her up Nov. 2002.

Tootsie chow chow

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes

Honey is a 4 year old Chow Chow. Honey was born on Endor and came to us as a little fur ball Ewok. Honey loves to corner fluff and pounce on it.

Honey the Dog at the Top of a Large Hill

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 5

Smurf is 10 years old and is a Chow Chow. I got her from a breeder.She likes to sleep. She love food, and hates cats and monkeys.

Smurf chow chow

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes

Bubbalouie is a 6 year old Chow Chow. I bought my precious baby from a breeder in Columbus, Ohio.

bubba louie chow chow

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes

We were looking for a family dog and liked the personality of my mom's Chow mix, Maggie. She suggested we contact the NW Chow Chow Rescue for a possible adoption. Honey was part of a large rescue operation at a "puppy mill" type breeder in Oregon. She was just a puppy so was relatively unscathed by the situation.

Honey in the garden

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 1

Rocco is nearly 5 years old. He was a rescue from a puppy mill, along with many others of all ages (38 in all), all chow chows.

Pets Dogs Dog Breeds Chow ChowMarch 15, 2012
📓
🌻
😎
🐛
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Chow-Chow-Breed-Information-and-Photos.html