Geranium Not Flowering

I have a gigantic geranium, but it isn't flowering. The foliage is huge and healthy, but no flowers. What kind of fertilizer? or does it need it?

By Linda from Vista, CA

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I'm actually not too far from you in San Marcos. I have three Geraniums. One is in the shade and has tons of flowers. The other two are in full sun and have NO flowers. I'm writing this on 3/23/2011. Perhaps they like shade?

Good luck!

I use just normal Miracle Grow once every 2-3 weeks and I use it as a "liquid feed" (in other words buy a container, mix it with your water). You can buy general "flower" granules (they like phosphorus) buy water before and after putting the granules on (read the container, too -use as directed). Once they start blooming, you know you have to "dead head" them to keep them blooming or they'll stop. Blooms that are going past their prime, cut them off to keep the plant blooming. You'd think you'd cut more than they bloom, but they catch up. If you feel guilty throwing away mostly big pretty blooms, use a pair of scissors and cut off the bad parts of the blooms and put the remaining good part in a glass of water inside - they're gorgeous!

You could be feeding them too much, thus encouraging leaf growth. This often happens when the soil is too rich.

Answer

My geranium stopped flowering. It's only a few months old and I recently repotted it thinking it may be root bound. That's not the problem. Is there something else I'm doing wrong?

By Donna

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Are you watering the geranium too much? When you repotted it was the soil wet? Mine like the shade and are blooming now in a limited fashion.The Miracle Gro is excellent for them too. Hope they start blooming soon.

Read More Answers...
Home and Garden Gardening FlowersMarch 22, 2011
Crepe Myrtle Not Blooming
Crepe Myrtle Not Blooming
Passion flower.
Growing Flowering Vines Indoors
Scented Geraniums
Growing Scented Geranium
Spring Flowering Bulbs
Storing Spring Flowering Bulbs
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 12, 2016 at 8:23:12 PM on 10.0.2.192 in 802 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.