Geranium Not Flowering

I have a gigantic geranium, but it isn't flowering. The foliage is huge and healthy, but no flowers. What kind of fertilizer? or does it need it?

By Linda from Vista, CA

I'm actually not too far from you in San Marcos. I have three Geraniums. One is in the shade and has tons of flowers. The other two are in full sun and have NO flowers. I'm writing this on 3/23/2011. Perhaps they like shade?

Good luck!

I use just normal Miracle Grow once every 2-3 weeks and I use it as a "liquid feed" (in other words buy a container, mix it with your water). You can buy general "flower" granules (they like phosphorus) buy water before and after putting the granules on (read the container, too -use as directed). Once they start blooming, you know you have to "dead head" them to keep them blooming or they'll stop. Blooms that are going past their prime, cut them off to keep the plant blooming. You'd think you'd cut more than they bloom, but they catch up. If you feel guilty throwing away mostly big pretty blooms, use a pair of scissors and cut off the bad parts of the blooms and put the remaining good part in a glass of water inside - they're gorgeous!

You could be feeding them too much, thus encouraging leaf growth. This often happens when the soil is too rich.

December 27, 2011 Flag

My geranium stopped flowering. It's only a few months old and I recently repotted it thinking it may be root bound. That's not the problem. Is there something else I'm doing wrong?

By Donna

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Generally, geraniums stop flowering when colder weather arrives, but that depends on the environment you are providing, too-are the plants outside in the freezing cold, do they get enough direct sun, are they in a hothouse, do you have grow lamps on them, are you feeding them, are you over/under watering them, are you deadheading them properly...Why a plant stops flowering depends on so many factors that it's quicker and easier to direct you to general geranium growing info. Here's a UK link:

And here's one for the US:

Also, for information specific for your area if you are in the USA, try a Google search for the extension office in your county or region. Their website will have pages of information based on plants growing in your zip code.

Good luck, geraniums are lovely plants that usually do well in the home garden.

Are you watering the geranium too much? When you repotted it was the soil wet? Mine like the shade and are blooming now in a limited fashion.The Miracle Gro is excellent for them too. Hope they start blooming soon.

Home and Garden Gardening FlowersMarch 22, 2011
Crepe Myrtle Not Blooming
Crepe Myrtle Not Blooming
Passion flower.
Growing Flowering Vines Indoors
Scented Geraniums
Growing Scented Geranium
Spring Flowering Bulbs
Storing Spring Flowering Bulbs