What Is Anso Sauce?

What is Anso sauce? i have a recipe for a marinade for pork ribs. One of the ingredients is Anso sauce. I haven't a clue what it is. It's obviously something you can get in the U.S. and not available here in Malta. Does anyone know what I can use as a substitute? Please try not to give brand names of alternatives. There's a good chance that I won't know what you're talking about either, as they may not be available here. A description of its uses and basic ingredients would be just fine. MANY, MANY, THANKS!

Cettina from Malta, Europe

Hi Cettina,

I did a quick internet search and I couldn't find ANYTHING called Anso Sauce. I live in Portland, Oregon, USA and I do a lot of cooking and watch a lot of cooking shows. It must be an ethnic sauce from somewhere else or maybe even a typo.

I did find a recipe that called for it, I bet it is the same one you have.

Good Luck!

I'd guess that Anso sauce is sauce made from ancho peppers (what a poblano pepper is called when it's been dried). Ancho peppers are mildly spicy, and for the recipe that Jess_admin linked to seems as if that would be a good fit.

I also noticed that in the linked recipe, the only capitalised ingredients are "Karo" and "Anso", which makes me think Anso could be a brand name, and so changeed slightly from ancho for trademark purposes.

If you're trying to re-create the recipe, any sort of mild hot sauce would likely work, perhaps one that's more smoky since vinegar is already added in the linked recipe.

Hope that helps!

Many French recipes refer to anso sauce, as in, "add 1 tablespoon anso sauce". I take it this is something that is bought, not made. I love to cook and keep up with food trends but I've never heard of anso sauce.

I think it may have been a misprint. There is Ancho sauce as in Ancho Chile Sauce made from Ancho Chiles (which is a dried Poblano chile... or the ground powder of the dried Ancho Chiles.

Recipes for the sauce:

http://www.google.com/search?num=10 ... ncho+Chile+Sauce+%22&btnG=Search

It is used in rib recipes:

http://www.google.com/search?num=10 ... +Chile+Sauce%22+ribs&btnG=Search

thanks everyone! i got the recipe from a website called cooks.com but ive got the idea of what it is now - seems to be a mild chilli sauce. thats not a prob. can find that here in malta. once again, my friends from thriftyfun have sorted out my problem! thankyou so much.

I agree, it must be Ancho sauce. It comes here in a can, many times in a spanish section of your grocery store. The smoked ancho peppers sit in a tomato type of sauce. Many recipies call for the sauce, a bit here and there, because it can be spicy. Basically, its because of the smoky flavor it is used, there for the ribs make sense.

Could it possibly be Ah so sauce?

Food and Recipes Food Tips SubstitutionsFebruary 4, 2008
Peanut Sauce Recipes, Pork satay with peanut sauce dip.
Peanut Sauce Recipes
Chopsticks Picking up Piece of Teriyaki Chicken
Homemade Teriyaki Sauce Recipes
Homemade pizaa sauce.
Pizza Sauce Recipes
Cheesecake with fresh raspberries and sauce.
Raspberry Sauce Recipes