Paint Color Ideas for a Mudroom

I have a small mudroom that you enter to get into my house. So its the first room that you see. There are two windows on each side of the door. Its already white, but I need color. What color can I paint it that would make it look bigger?

By Mary from Danby, VT

Stay light in paint as it makes a small room appear larger than one painted in dark colors. If you don't like white, try another light color. If there's a pattern in the flooring, use a light shade that best matches one of the colors in it you like best.

I agree with Lorelei! What is your favorite color? Perhaps you could do a very, very pale shade of that choice. And perhaps you could also jazz up those two small windows with simple curtains, window blinds or a valance.

Why do you need it to look larger? I would make it a fun and favorite family room entrance as mudrooms were never intended to impress guests.

I get your sentiment as most of our friends walk into our mudroom instead of the front door and it can be awkward with newcomers. None-the-less, it's your mudroom and your house and those that don't use the front door shouldn't expect the Royal Palace Entryway.

Seriously, it's your home. Choose the style and colors you love! Have fun. :-)

A nice sunny yellow give it the effect of being larger, and adds a bit of color! :) (that all depends on if you like yellow)

Paint won't make it look bigger, especially since you already have it painted white. Select a light color that harmonizes with the rest of your home. I like a satin or semi-gloss finish for a room like that. Flat paint seems to grab dirt and scratches.

Here's my 2 cents. Paint the walls any light color. (I like yellow for a mudroom too) Paint the ceiling blue. I know someone who did this with yellow walls, and it looks darling. Make sure there is some yellow and blue in the fabric of your curtains. (Or whatever colors you decide upon.)

A sunny yellow would brighten the mudroom a lot. You would feel like you were entering the sunshine even before going outside, or that it was following you as you go back inside.

January 11, 2011 Flag

What color should I paint my mudroom? Its dimensions are 6x8 feet, it has one window and a closet and two doors (one leading to a small hall and the other is the entrance/exit door). My kitchen and living room are off that hall. The kitchen is light gray and the living room is light blue and adjacent to the front hall which is in the mustard family. Across the hall is the dining room in a light green. I want to change the living room and the mudroom. Thank you for your suggestions.

By Kathy from Norwood, MA

Answers:

Paint Color Ideas for a Mudroom

I would scale back on the number of colors. You could stick with the earth tones (not sure if your green is earth tone or not) and go with sage for the mudroom. The right tone will blend with the mustard. I think the gray would have to go eventually. You could do a shade or two lighter than the sage. (04/09/2010)

By Allison5

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Paint Color AdviceJanuary 11, 2011
Porcelain bathtub.
Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
Old wooden ladder leaning against a concrete wall with painted designs.
Removing Paint from Concrete
Green paint on a brick wall.
Cleaning Paint from Brick
Old Paint Can
Disposing of Old Paint
🎉
🎄