Pruning a Lilac Bush

When and how do you prune a lilac bush?

By bdeast from WI

One of the widows on our street where we used to live, asked my husband if he would prune her lilac bush.

In the autumn when the growing season ended he just sawed off a lot of the limbs.

I have to agree with trimming off the spent flowers because the new growth supplies the blooms for the next year. However, I went nuts on my lilac bushes that divide my back yard from my field a couple years ago because they were so overgrown and thick they barely flowered. This year I had the most blooms in 5 years!

June 19, 2009 Flag

My lilac bushes do not have too many flowers this year. When is the proper time to prune? Perhaps I trimmed too much last year. I try to keep them from growing too large and out of control.

Rose from Malvern, PA

Answers:

When to Prune Lilac Bush

You are suppose to cut right it after bloom dies, because they flower on the new growth. (05/13/2008)

By Bonnie

When to Prune Lilac Bush

It is my experience that lilac bushes tend to bloom in cycles, every second year (in my climate) you get loads of blossoms. The alternate year, very few. Be sure to cut off the spent blossoms after they die, especially when you are not going to do a massive pruning job. (05/14/2008)

By thriftmeg

Home and Garden Gardening Pruning ShrubsJune 19, 2009
Lilac Bush
Lilac Leaves Turning Yellow
Transplanting a Butterfly Bush
Transplanting a Butterfly Bush
Winterizing a Butterfly Bush
Winterizing a Butterfly Bush
Lilacs growing near a white fence with a weathered outbuilding in the background.
Transplanting Lilac Bushes
🎄
🍂