Keepsake for Mother's 90th Birthday

Looking for ideas for a keepsake for my Mother's 90th birthday party. Her birthday is Dec. 23rd so I think it would be nice to have something that each person could put on their x-mas tree to remember her at that time of the year. Any suggestions?

If you like to do thread count (counted cross stitch) you could make tree ornaments with her name and birth date. I've bought cute round frames with hangers on top and made them for all family members. Quick and easy!

Several years ago I made keepsakes for each sibling at a family reunion with our mother. I bought 3" vine wreaths at a hobby store, and decorated them with mini items that relate to our teacher mom and her interests. I used tiny mushroom birds, tiny ribbon roses, apples made from little red pompoms with felt stems, musical notes cut from metallic Christmas garland, etc. She was a teacher that loved birds, flowers, teaching and music. Make a label for the back of each one with the year and event title. I put strong round magnets on the wreaths, as well as a gold cord loop. Everybody loved them.

Make a doll ornament dressed in the fashions of yesteryear with her hair color and hairstyle. By stringing beads and wooden shapes you can get in the craft places, you can put a cute thing together, and why not give her a fringed skirt like in the 20's? so it will swing and be in motion, eh?

My mother spent her last couple years in a small, friendly nursing home. One time the activities director had the residents make their hand print (I assume it was blue finger paints or tempra paint or some such type). It was made on a cream-colored sheet of paper which had the following verse on top:

MOTHER'S HAND

For my child:

My hands have grown older through the years,

And they have wiped away many tears.

They held you when you were young and wiped

a tear to keep you strong.

So, hang this on your wall to view.

Remember that I will always love you!

Unknown

Her name was put on it along with the year.

The four corners were trimmed in a fancy design; it was then put on a larger colored piece of construction paper and then either covered with contact paper or laminated.

Mother died just shortly after this. We had copies made for us kids and then the grandchildren requested copies also. It is a treasured reminder of Mom. I can see the lines on her hands and can reach and touch the print and feel close to her.

judy

Another wonderful idea! I love keepsakes that can be passed down! Can you just feel the emotion of holding your great, great, great grandmothers print of her hand?

Along with the saying, wow now that's just about the coolest! Thanks for sharing. It's wonderful and if done right, it will be priceless. Thumbs up from me!

Keepsake Gift Ideas
Keepsake Gift Ideas
Holidays and Parties Gifts BirthdayNovember 4, 2007
Mother's Day Party Ideas
Mother's Day Party Ideas
patchwork teddy bear
Making a Keepsake Teddy Bear
Signed Record Party Keepsake
Making a Signed Vinyl Record Party Keepsake
daughter giving mother a gift
Thank You Speech for Mother's 80 Birthday
🎉
🎄