Reclaim Yarn at Thrift Stores

To save money on small knitting or crochet projects, purchase small crocheted or knitted throws from the thrift stores or yard sales. Launder the yarn items and allow to dry. Once they are dry, you can proceed to "reclaim" the yarn by unraveling the pieces carefully and winding the yarn into balls.

I purchased some items made from specialty yarn today for $.50 each and am very pleased with my savings. I plan to make socks from some of my new "stash". This can also be done with old sweaters, etc. you might already have on hand.

By duckie-do from Cortez, CO

Yahoo to you! I do this all the time with mufflers, afghans, pot holders and more. I can buy a muffler for .50 like yours and remake it into flowers, hot pads, pin cushions, pillow tops and too many more to count! Thanks for bringing it to light!

Another great idea is to buy the unrolled skeins from thrift shops, too. I just bought 2 bags of crochet thread that had 18 balls in it for just .5 cents each. That's right, just .5 cents, so each ball was less than .01!

Happy shopping!

PBP

Updated: Yep I have been doing this a long time. Good to see it back on for a tip!

balls of yarn
Saving Money on Yarn
Crafts MiscellaneousNovember 16, 2010
Shoes at a Thrift Stores
Buying Shoes at Thrift Stores
A knitted item with a ball of yarn being unraveled from it.
Recycle Yarn From Old Sweaters
Thrift Store Clothes
Thrift Store Shopping Tips
Tea Cup and Saucer on White Background
Crafts Using Tea Cups and Saucers
🎉
🎄