Saving Money on Yarn

Careful shopping and creative frugality both will help you save money on stocking your yarn stash. This is a guide about saving money on yarn.

Do you like to knit or crochet? Yarn can be quite expensive and you can't always hit the sales.

Did you know you can find bags of yarn at some thrift stores? I often find big bags of yarn for very little money. I also find unused, unopened craft supplies like embroidery sets, etc.

Collect yarn this way and make pretty holiday gifts over the summer.

Happy thrifting.

By Gooby from Straughn, IN

To save money on small knitting or crochet projects, purchase small crocheted or knitted throws from the thrift stores or yard sales. Launder the yarn items and allow to dry. Once they are dry, you can proceed to "reclaim" the yarn by unraveling the pieces carefully and winding the yarn into balls.

I purchased some items made from specialty yarn today for $.50 each and am very pleased with my savings. I plan to make socks from some of my new "stash". This can also be done with old sweaters, etc. you might already have on hand.

By Monica from Cortez, CO

Some of us can never get enough yarn. I enjoy knitting or crocheting in the evening. But if I bought all I wanted, I'd be in trouble. There's no room in my budget for more than a skein or two per month. Nice, but no blue ribbon. Fortunately I have a friend who enjoys dumpster diving. He was checking out the dumpster behind the thrift store and discovered that they were throwing away lots of yarn because it was not in complete skeins, was a trifle dirty, etc. He wanted to take it for me, but he hates it when they come out the back door and try to chase him off!

When he brought up the subject, I got an idea. I approached the manager of the thrift store and asked whether I could buy the odd lots at a reduced price. They wouldn't have to discard it, and I could sort through it to my heart's content. She said she would sell it to me for $6.00 for a large garbage bag full, or $3.00 for a smaller, white garbage bag full. She really stuffs those bags! I have bought as much as ten pounds of yarn in one bag. Most of these skeins are odd ones, but from time to time I get the same colors over and over again. Right now I have eight almost full skeins of black, and five of burgundy.

I like making the simplest, warmest kinds of afghans possible. My favorite is to just start with a skein and crochet back and forth until it is used up. Then I tie on another, coordinating color and keep on going. Some have more than 20 colors. Believe it or not, they have received admiring comments. It's probably the cheerful colors. My husband talked me out of a pastel afghan I made for myself! That one was knitted, and is very light weight, but the crocheted ones are heavier and warmer. Having one in your lap keeps you warmer. We find we are using less firewood because often we only need to wrap up. In the last six months or so, I have been able to donate four afghans, anonymously, to people at our church who are suffering from cancer. They have enough problems without being chilly, too. It makes me happy to have something useful to share, and it helps them, too.

The one problem with buying this yarn is that I now have six large bags sitting in my storage room. I am thinking that maybe some of my friends would like to go "shopping" and select some of the yarns for their own projects. I'll never catch up. It comes in too fast. So if you are a yarn-aholic, may I suggest you discuss this with the manager of your local thrift store? You may be happily surprised, and benefit them and your friends as well. In 2009 I may try to make afghans for the children for Christmas. But here's a warning: if you use yarn only for something like plastic canvas, you could get inundated! This is so much fun! I finally have all the yarn I want!

By Coreen from Rupert, ID

This is a guide about recycle yarn from old sweaters. Old outdated sweaters of your own or thriftstore finds are a great source for reclaimed yarn.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I was wondering if you could help me. I am in the process of teaching children to knit and crochet, thanks to my loving son. We have asked the parents to donate a ball of wool or a pair of needles, but not a thing has come in so I bought all the needles and hooks myself.

It has really cost a lot of money and I was wondering if anyone knew anywhere I can buy bulk yarn cheaply? I just can't afford to buy the wool and I so want to do this. Thank you.

Answers

Best Answer

Have you tried Craigslist or Freecycle? Sometimes people have stuff they'd like to donate or just get out of their house, and if you write a nice ad about why you need it they will give it to you. Craigslist and Freecycle are free to use, and fairly easy as well.

I wish you the best in this worthy undertaking!

**If you have never done this before---please meet them in a very public place, like a mall or public library**

Best Answer

Check the thrift stores for knitted and crocheted sweaters, afghans, etc. Unravel them, wrap the yarn around a jar or something similar and wet the yarn. Then let it dry and that should take out most of the kinks from the stitches.

Best Answer

Check with your church. I have several ladies that give me the "left overs" to make things with that I end up giving away! Other places you would have to pay for (more than likely) are the salvation Army Store or any second hand store or even yard sales.

If you don't see it, ask. Sometimes the ladies don't put it out as they think no one will want it!