Formula for Mechanic's Hand Cleaner

I'm posting a simple, economical, and very effective formula for mechanic's hand cleaner.

Mix about a tablespoon of washing up liquid, (or what Americans call "dish soap"), such as "Dawn", and a tablespoon of corn meal, or grits". Add just enough water to make it "useable". Exact proportions are not crucial.

Smashing good results. :O)

By GrreatBigBear

Thanks for the recipe, sounds great. But just to clarify, there is a big difference between corn meal and grits. Corn meal is finely ground corn, similar to flour. Grits are made from Hominy and are more like a hot cereal (similar to oatmeal or porridge but "grittier", with a small, firmer grain than oatmeal.)

Thanks to "bailegirl" for clarifying grits for those others out there who have never delighted in this food of the South. I might add that there is a coarse-ground cornmeal that may work for the purpose and wouldn't use up grits. Also, in all too many parts of the country, grits are non-existent in stores. Just ask a salesperson there and watch their face! CayC from FL

My hon is a mechanic what he does he uses cheap soap dish and salt, and rub hands together

magic he's got beautiful, hand, clean, no more oil. It works I have seen it.

I don't have exact amounts, but mix sugar (yes, regular sugar its gritty and don't burn in cuts or busted knuckles), olive oil (helps with dryness and soaks in better than lotions), and dawn dishwashing liquid (degreaser). I just mix all together in plastic container with lid and my husband just scoops some out, rubs it over hands, and rinses.

How long does this last? Does it need to be refrigerated?

Homemade Mechanic's Hand Cleaner
Homemade Mechanic's Hand Cleaner
Home and Garden Cleaning Cleaning Supply RecipesMay 14, 2010
Finding an Honest Mechanic, Mechanic Holding up Car Part in Front of Car
Finding an Honest Mechanic
Baby Formula Scoop
Craft Ideas Using Baby Formula Scoops
Water on Deck
Homemade Deck Cleaner Recipes
Baby being fed with formula.
Removing Baby Formula Stains from Clothing