Homemade Mechanic's Hand Cleaner

Category Cleaning
Grease and oil make cleaning hands after a mechanical project a challenge. This guide is about homemade mechanic's hand cleaner.

I'm posting a simple, economical, and very effective formula for mechanic's hand cleaner.

Mix about a tablespoon of washing up liquid, (or what Americans call "dish soap"), such as "Dawn", and a tablespoon of corn meal, or grits". Add just enough water to make it "useable". Exact proportions are not crucial.

Smashing good results. :O)

By GrreatBigBear

Top Comment

Thanks for the recipe, sounds great. But just to clarify, there is a big difference between corn meal and grits. Corn meal is finely ground corn, similar to flour. Grits are made from Hominy and are more like a hot cereal (similar to oatmeal or porridge but "grittier", with a small, firmer grain than oatmeal.)

Top Comment

I don't have exact amounts, but mix sugar (yes, regular sugar its gritty and don't burn in cuts or busted knuckles), olive oil (helps with dryness and soaks in better than lotions), and dawn dishwashing liquid (degreaser). I just mix all together in plastic container with lid and my husband just scoops some out, rubs it over hands, and rinses.

Does anyone know how to make the GOOP mechanics use to clean their hands with?

Betty from Middletown, NY

Answers

By Jill (Guest Post)
Best Answer

It isn't the soft Goop; but I mix finely grated soap with powdered borax to wash my hands with after gardening; and it does a really good job. You wet your hands, add some of the powder (I keep it in an old shaker jar) and scrub your hands together.

The borax adds grit for abrasive cleaning. I have been shocked at some of the grime this can get off! I don't know if you could add borax to liquid soap without it dissolving?

Another solution, though one less popular, is hand-washing dishes! I have yet to see dirty hands come back out of the dishwater.

By Renee (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I used to work on cars and I would use liquid dishsoap and powdered laundry soap mixed together. Works great.

How can I make hand cleaner, the grit type for grease and grime? I want to make it for resale purposes.

By Willy

Answers

Best Answer

Find a recipe you likr for liquid soap online, they are several, and then just add 1/4 cup powdered pumice to each gallon. To can buy the powdered pumice from many online soap making suppliers.

Best Answer

Use Dawn dish detergent and some sugar. Your hands will be nice and clean AND exfoliated.

I would like to know how to make a hand cleaning cream or gel to remove oil and grease, suitable for a motor mechanics workshop. What ingredients and quantities of each?

By ROCCO from Howick, South Africa