Using Powdered Milk

Powdered milk is a less expensive alternative to fresh milk and is sometimes called out specifically in recipes. This is a guide about using powdered milk.

Powdered Milk
Filter Sort

Question: Recipes Using Powdered Milk

By Ashley 9 3

I have several bags of powdered milk. My family does not really care to drink it so I am looking for ideas on how to use it. Thanks a bunch to all who can offer some suggestions!

Ashley from Heart of Amish Country, PA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By William G. 1 Flag

Fresh ground peanut butter and powdered milk mix both together whatever ratio you like. Delicious and full of protein.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Use Dry Milk for Cooking

By Bobbie 166 11

For the past several months, I have been buying organic milk, which is more expensive then non organic milk. Since I use milk in many of my recipes, gravy, baking and sauces, I now buy the least expensive dry milk available and keep it on hand for everything else.

There is no difference in texture or taste when used in baking, sauces and gravy. I keep the more expensive store-bought milk for drinking and to use on cereals only. The dry milk is good to have on hand. I find the container with the pour spout is less expensive then the packets and easier to measure exactly what I need.

By Bobbie from Rockwall, TX

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: The Price of Powdered Milk

By Joyann Crouch 14 3

I would like to hear from ladies who use powdered milk and what you usually pay for a pound. Here in California, it is $4.50 a pound. This is from a bulk bin at a discount grocery. This seems high to me. How much milk do you get from a pound? All the recipes I see go by cups. The price of milk is so high I want to switch but I don't know if it is worth changing. Milk is $3.20 a gallon for comparison.

Joy from Visalia

Editor's Note: A pound of dry milk is approximately 4 cups.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Recently I decided to try powdered milk in place of liquid because I read online elsewhere that it's cheaper., so I bought a small box (they had either small box or large box) of Carnation to try out. After chilling over night, I drank some and could not believe how GREAT it was! WOW I like POWDERED milk! So anyways, we drank all that, then I went back to buy more, and got to thinking. That box that cost $4 (give or take a few cents) made a gallon - That is the same price of a liquid gallon!! Actually, the powdered was a little more. So.. how is that saving money? (I checked the price of generic and it was still the same price as liquid milk!!)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Christmas Gifts Using Dried Milk

I have recently found myself with an amazing amount of dried milk. Being a person who believes that any food can be used, I am on a quest for Christmas gifts I can make with dried milk. I believe I have exhausted the hot chocolate or mocha recipes gifts. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks and God Bless-

Beverley

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Beverley 6 13 Flag

Hi

Here is a great recipe for Cream of Anything soup which uses dried nonfat skim powedered milk... And if your dried milk is full cream, it wouldn't matter either.

Healthy Cream of Soup/Casserole Sauce Mix

(Use instead of canned cream soup)

2 cups nonfat dry milk powder

3/4 cup cornstarch or clear gel

1/4 cup instant reduced sodium chicken or beef bouillon granules

1/2 teaspoon dried crushed thyme (optional)

1/2 teaspoon dried crushed basil (optional)

1/4 teaspoon ground white or black pepper

Directions: Combine ingredients. Store in an airtight container.

To prepare as a substitute for one can of condensed cream soup in recipes, stir together 1/3 cup dry mix and 1 1/4 cup water in a saucepan or microwave cooking dish. Cook and stir until thickened. Mix makes the equivalent of nine cans condensed soup.

As you plan your company dishes for this holiday season, why don't you mix up a batch of casserole sauce mix and cook up a healthy holiday meal. By sharing your healthy version of the family's favorite dishes, you just might encourage other family members to try the casserole sauce mix too. Of course, you could always mix up a batch and give it as a gift using a recipe card as a gift tag.

By the way, I didn't use the pepper in my batch because my children don't like pepper in anything...

THis is what was saved in my email recipe folder. I should actually save it on my hard drive, but with so many weeks until Christmas, it's not going to happen.

Hope this helps.

Bev in Australia

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Stretching Fresh Milk

To make milk stretch further, I use both regular (refrigerated fresh) milk and powdered milk. My family did not like the taste of powdered milk alone, so I split a gallon of fresh milk in half (best way is to take an empty milk jug and pour from the full one until you think it is half, then set them side by side on the counter and check), and use half fresh milk and half powdered milk.

This will make one gallon of milk stretch to two gallons much cheaper. This works really good if you have several children, or a big family (I do). When I use half fresh and half powdered milk it tastes much better than just powdered milk, and your milk will go a long way.

By C B

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Making Powdered Milk Taste Better

Think about it. What is lacking from powered milk? (Answer: Fat) So, I add heavy cream to the reconstituted milk. My formula: 1 pouch powdered milk, 3 3/4 cup water, and 1/4 cup heavy cream.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Article: Making Powdered Milk Taste Better

I am using powdered milk to save money (I get the powdered milk for free). Is there anything I can do to the reconstituted milk to make it taste better? I added a tablespoon of sugar and some vanilla today, nothing changed. It still tastes like powder.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Save Money Using Powdered Milk

By opshop 2 4

I find this tip not only convenient, but it also reduces my food bill. I use skim powdered milk for all cooking and smoothies. You could also use full cream, but I find I can use the skim for everything like custards, white sauces, cakes and muffins.

By Melinda

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Use Non Fat Dry Milk for Coffee Creamer

By Susan Wolfe 20 38

Coffee creamer that is actually good for you. Use non fat dry milk as coffee creamer. There is no need to pre-mix dry milk with water, just use it as is. You can use as much as you like, without the fat. Your coffee will taste just as good as coffee creamers that have questionable additives like high fructose corn syrup. Canned "no fat milk" is also good, but it is more expensive. If you're big on coffee, like me, this will also help keep off the pounds. Enjoy!

By suzyspinkmoon from Clinton, TN

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Reconstituting Powdered Milk

By Chantal 1

I have a container of skim milk powder, but no instructions of how to reconstitute it. Can anyone give me a rule of thumb?
Cheers.

By Chantal from Queensland, Australia

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By metroplex 82 416 Flag

Redhatterb is correct.

But when i make mine, I add more milk because the milk becomes thicker, almost like whole milk.

I always make it this way when I cook with it and my husband does the same for eating cereal. It has more body and flavor I think. I always have some in the house, though. Especially for hurricane season.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Can You Substitute Sweet Dry Whey for Powdered Milk?

By Becki 2 2

I would like to know if I can use sweet dry whey in recipes instead of powdered milk. If not, what can I use it for? It is so much cheaper than regular powered milk. Thanks and God bless!

Velsgal from Seymour, MO

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Although Whey is sold as "high protein", it is actually the GLUE in milk, and causes mucous like mad in those who are prone to sinus infections, and/or are lactose intolerant.

I'd go with non-fat milk, and not use it too often. It's worth paying attention. God bless you. : )

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Is Nonfat Dry Milk Skim?

By ellen wagner 18 69

Is non-fat dry milk the same as skim milk powder?

Ellen from CA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Is milk powder the same as real milk?

Editor's Note: Milk powder is dried milk, so it is made from real milk but has all of the water (and quite often fat) removed. If you mix it with water, you will get something like skim milk.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Substitute for Nonfat Dry Milk in Recipe

A recipe calls for 1/3 cup of nonfat dry milk. What can I use as a substitution?

By Lakisha C.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Tonya 4 130 Flag

In a cookbook I have it says that if your recipe calls for water you just substitute milk for the amount of water it calls for.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Substitute For Powdered Milk

By Andrea 1

I am baking soft rolls. The recipe calls for milk solids is there a substitute?

By Andrea from FL

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Jill 4 738 Flag

Substitute milk for the liquid in the dough. You may need to add just a touch more to get the dough to the correct consistency, but you should be fine doing that.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Storing Powdered Milk

Fill an ice cream pail with dry milk and put a 2/3 cup sized measuring cup in the pail. It takes four scoops of the 2/3 cup measuring cup (equals 2 2/3 cup) to make a 2 qt. pitcher of milk. It is a lot less messy to measure it out from a plastic pail than measuring it by pouring it from the box. And having the right sized measuring cup scoop makes reconstituting it easy.

Other advantages of dry milk are that it is about half the price of fresh milk. It is fat free so it doesn't add cholesterol from butterfat to your diet.

By Judy from North Dakota

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Add Powdered Milk To Skim For A Better Flavor

By Cajun 59 327

You don't like 1% or 2% milk? Add 1-2 Tbsp. of powdered milk. This will add the whole-milk flavor without the fat.

By Cajun62234 from Collinsville, IL

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Food and Recipes Food Tips DairyFebruary 23, 2014
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Powdered Milk
Powdered Milk Ice Cream Recipes
A sugar mill making powdered sugar.
How to Make Confectioners (Powdered) Sugar
Making Diabetic Powdered Sugar (Sugar Free)
Collection of dried and canned foods including box of powdered milk.
Making Powdered Milk Taste Better
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 9:45:30 AM on 10.0.2.86 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestions
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings