Using Powdered Milk

Powdered milk is a less expensive alternative to fresh milk and is sometimes called out specifically in recipes. This is a guide about using powdered milk.

September 25, 2009 Flag

For the past several months, I have been buying organic milk, which is more expensive then non organic milk. Since I use milk in many of my recipes, gravy, baking and sauces, I now buy the least expensive dry milk available and keep it on hand for everything else.

There is no difference in texture or taste when used in baking, sauces and gravy. I keep the more expensive store-bought milk for drinking and to use on cereals only. The dry milk is good to have on hand. I find the container with the pour spout is less expensive then the packets and easier to measure exactly what I need.

By Bobbie from Rockwall, TX

After frequently throwing out milk that went bad, I switched to powdered dry milk. It is always handy and when you make it, do it the day before and keep in refrig. to use the next day.

While you're keeping your dry milk on hand, remember that it too has an expiration date. Although it does have a lot longer shelf life than prepared milk. I also keep the dry on hand for cooking. For some foods I will make the dry milk up a bit stronger than regular milk, thus making my food more creamy.

May 2, 2011 Flag

Think about it. What is lacking from powered milk? (Answer: Fat) So, I add heavy cream to the reconstituted milk. My formula: 1 pouch powdered milk, 3 3/4 cup water, and 1/4 cup heavy cream.

April 12, 2010 Flag

I find this tip not only convenient, but it also reduces my food bill. I use skim powdered milk for all cooking and smoothies. You could also use full cream, but I find I can use the skim for everything like custards, white sauces, cakes and muffins.

By Melinda

I also have been using powdered skim milk for over 20 years. No waste. The only thing it is not good for is for making instant pudding for a cake type dessert. It doesn't set up properly. You can use it for instant pudding to be eaten as a pudding.

I use a lot of powdered milk. When I mix it with Nesquik or Ovaltine, I can't tell that it's powdered milk.

April 21, 2009 Flag

Coffee creamer that is actually good for you. Use non fat dry milk as coffee creamer. There is no need to pre-mix dry milk with water, just use it as is. You can use as much as you like, without the fat.

March 12, 2005 Flag

To make milk stretch further, I use both regular (refrigerated fresh) milk and powdered milk. My family did not like the taste of powdered milk alone, so I split a gallon of fresh milk in half...

September 3, 2006 Flag

I have several bags of powdered milk. My family does not really care to drink it so I am looking for ideas on how to use it. Thanks a bunch to all who can offer some suggestions!

Ashley from Heart of Amish Country, PA

Does anyone know how to use powdered milk or cream in chocolate truffle recipes instead of using real heavy cream?

Thanks!

Smear a paste onto an egg roll wrapper add tomato pieces and black olives. Fold up and saute as squares of low fat entree that sweet and sour and sorta pizza mimicking. Serve beneath some pasta.

August 21, 2006 Flag

I am using powdered milk to save money (I get the powdered milk for free). Is there anything I can do to the reconstituted milk to make it taste better? I added a tablespoon of sugar and some vanilla today, nothing changed. It still tastes like powder.

July 31, 2007 Flag

I would like to hear from ladies who use powdered milk and what you usually pay for a pound. Here in California, it is $4.50 a pound. This is from a bulk bin at a discount grocery. This seems high to me. How much milk do you get from a pound? All the recipes I see go by cups. The price of milk is so high I want to switch but I don't know if it is worth changing. Milk is $3.20 a gallon for comparison.

Joy from Visalia

Editor's Note: A pound of dry milk is approximately 4 cups.

Even if you chose regular milk for drinking, you may want to buy some powdered milk (especially if you can get it at Aldis) for cooking, making homemade mixes (hot chocolate, etc.), and baking. You'll still be saving some money, and the powdered stuff lasts forever.

my kids never liked the taste of powdered milk by itself. so I would mix it 1/2 & 1/2 with regular milk.but I did like to use it in cooking when I could

February 18, 2010 Flag

Fill an ice cream pail with dry milk and put a 2/3 cup sized measuring cup in the pail. It takes four scoops of the 2/3 cup measuring cup (equals 2 2/3 cup) to make a 2 qt. pitcher of milk.

November 27, 2004 Flag

I have recently found myself with an amazing amount of dried milk. Being a person who believes that any food can be used, I am on a quest for Christmas gifts I can make with dried milk. I believe I have exhausted the hot chocolate or mocha recipes gifts. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks and God Bless-

Beverley

There are homemade soap recipes that use dried milk also.

Hi

Here is a great recipe for Cream of Anything soup which uses dried nonfat skim powedered milk... And if your dried milk is full cream, it wouldn't matter either.

Healthy Cream of Soup/Casserole Sauce Mix

(Use instead of canned cream soup)

2 cups nonfat dry milk powder

3/4 cup cornstarch or clear gel

1/4 cup instant reduced sodium chicken or beef bouillon granules

1/2 teaspoon dried crushed thyme (optional)

1/2 teaspoon dried crushed basil (optional)

1/4 teaspoon ground white or black pepper

Directions: Combine ingredients. Store in an airtight container.

To prepare as a substitute for one can of condensed cream soup in recipes, stir together 1/3 cup dry mix and 1 1/4 cup water in a saucepan or microwave cooking dish. Cook and stir until thickened. Mix makes the equivalent of nine cans condensed soup.

As you plan your company dishes for this holiday season, why don't you mix up a batch of casserole sauce mix and cook up a healthy holiday meal. By sharing your healthy version of the family's favorite dishes, you just might encourage other family members to try the casserole sauce mix too. Of course, you could always mix up a batch and give it as a gift using a recipe card as a gift tag.

By the way, I didn't use the pepper in my batch because my children don't like pepper in anything...

THis is what was saved in my email recipe folder. I should actually save it on my hard drive, but with so many weeks until Christmas, it's not going to happen.

Hope this helps.

Bev in Australia

June 2, 2010 Flag

I have a container of skim milk powder, but no instructions of how to reconstitute it. Can anyone give me a rule of thumb?
Cheers.

By Chantal from Queensland, Australia

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

To make 1 cup of liquid milk out of powdered milk, mix together 1/3 cup of the powdered milk with one cup of water, and shake really good until all the powder is dissolved. If you are going to drink it or use it on cereal it is best to mix it up the night before and let it set overnight in the refrigerator so that is nice and cold.

I only use it for cooking unless we run out of regular milk and won't be going to the store right away. On the box that I have it also says that you can stir some into coffee as a nonfat creamer, use in soups and casseroles, improve moistness and texture in meatloaf and meatballs, and add texture to bread machine recipes.

Redhatterb is correct.

But when i make mine, I add more milk because the milk becomes thicker, almost like whole milk.

I always make it this way when I cook with it and my husband does the same for eating cereal. It has more body and flavor I think. I always have some in the house, though. Especially for hurricane season.

July 12, 2012 Flag

A recipe calls for 1/3 cup of nonfat dry milk. What can I use as a substitution?

By Lakisha C.

In a cookbook I have it says that if your recipe calls for water you just substitute milk for the amount of water it calls for.

January 16, 2008 Flag

I would like to know if I can use sweet dry whey in recipes instead of powdered milk. If not, what can I use it for?

Load More
Food and Recipes Food Tips DairyFebruary 23, 2014
Powdered Milk
Powdered Milk Ice Cream Recipes
Powdered Milk with Baking Ingredients
Substitute For Powdered Milk
Collection of dried and canned foods including box of powdered milk.
Making Powdered Milk Taste Better
🎉
🎄