Cleaning a Hairbrush or Dog Brush

Once I've pulled out as much of the trapped hair from the brush with my fingers as possible, I take an envelope opener and run the pointed end through the brush's "lanes", pulling the embedded hair up to the top of the bristles. I do this until I get a good amount then pull it off, and repeat those steps until the brush is virtually hair-free. It works like a charm! This also makes washing the brushes much easier. (This technique works on all brushes, but better on vent and dog brushes than regular bristled brushes).

Source: I "accidentally" discovered this technique when I was desperately trying to remove my dog's hair from her brush without poking my fingers on the needle-like bristles. I figured if I could find something long and skinny enough that could slide through and pull up the hairs in the center that I couldn't get to, I'd be able to utilize more of the brush. I looked on my computer desk, saw the envelope opener, and "voila"! A tip is born!

By Charla from Colorado Springs, CO

When I bought my grooming equipment back in the mid 80s, I bought a Belgium style metal comb [coarse/medium] at UPCO and use that for taking the hair from their brushes. It has lasted all these years for about $10!

We have four cats that we brush several times a day. What I have found that does an excellent job of removing the hair from the brushes is to turn on the vacuum cleaner and place the hose onto the bristles. It sucks the hair right out and it's clean again! Doesn't take but a few seconds to do this and it saves on the finger tips. =(^-^)=

It never dawned on me that folk struggle to remove hair from a brush :-o

Both my parents were hairstylists from the time I was born. I followed their footsteps and was a hairstylist for thirty years and we always used a comb to clean brushes (and of course cleaned and sanitized after that).

This post goes to show that we should all always share details even about the little things that might seem easy and natural to us but are not at all easy and natural to others.

Thanks for sharing :-)

Great ideas here. I've always kept a dinner fork with my dog brush. The tines are just wide enough to easily pull all of the hair up to the end of the bristles. Hope this helps someone else.

A fine toothed comb works great too.

Then the hair brush can be washed with the dogs shampoo also.

Cleaning Hair from a Brush
Removing Hair from Brushes
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips TipsAugust 29, 2008
Wooden hairbrush on a black background.
Cleaning Hairbrushes
Homemade powered scrub brush.
Making a Powered Scrub Brush
Toilet Brush Head
Toilet Brush Head Stuck in Toilet
Plain Hairbrush
Painting a Hairbrush