General AdviceConsumer Advice

How to Buy Meat in Bulk

I'm wondering if anyone here has any idea where to buy bulk meat items in and around the Baton Rouge, Louisiana area. I want to try to buy a 1/4 or 1/2 a cow and maybe some pork, too, but I have no idea where to start. Thanks for any info you can give me!

By jdmcd79 from Gonzales, LA

Look in the local paper classified ads, also try Craigs list, meat or beef is usually listed under the Farm and Garden section, though you can search the other sections as well. You can also Google beef or pork ( or similar seach terms ) + your town and see what comes up.

Check your local butcher. Not the one in the supermarket, an actual store that specializes in butchering meats. They should be able to either fill your order or point you in the right direction. I am sure you will find a listing in your phone book. Good Luck!

You need to check with local meat processors, such as those that make fresh smoked sausage. Start in the yellow pages under meat processing. You can also find out if there are any local livestock auction barns--they could tell you where to go for bulk meats as well. The Lousiana Farm Market Bulletin is available online, and it had a listing of all of the livestock auction barns in LA. There is a family named Dominic that runs several in south LA, one in Carencro---Dominic's Livestock Market, 3600 n. University Ave, Carencro, LA, 337-896-6995. Good luck to you---that is one of the best ways to get the BEST meats!

I would contact all of my local meat markets, or butcher shops, if there is such a thing anymore.

You might be able to contact the county extension office or the Beef Growers association to see if they have any suggestios. They should know the people that raise beef in your area and you may be able to buy a beef directly from the rancher.