My New Puppy Won't Eat

8 week old puppy who is not eating, but is drinking water.

By Donna

Check with whoever you got the puppy from. What were they feeding him/her? How long has it been since the puppy has eaten? There may be underlying issues. You can get a free puppy exam at the vet inside the Pet Smart store. The puppy may have been taken away from its mother too early. Have you tried formula?

hello,

Please take your new baby to the vet!

My 7 week old pit puppy will not eat and has lost weight.

By Liz from Concord, NC

Answers:

My New Puppy Won't Eat

Please take you fur baby to the vet asap, not eating in a small puppy is very serious. Pit Bulls are more prone to get Parvo virus. Good luck. (11/05/2009)

By K9cats

My New Puppy Won't Eat

Take your puppy to the vet ASAP. All new pets should be seen by a vet regardless if there's a problem or not. In this case, I would have him/her checked out immediately. (11/05/2009)

By Maryeileen

My New Puppy Won't Eat

Try feeding him baby cereal with milk. This is what I give my pups when I have a mom that can't handle feeding them all. (11/05/2009)

By dcsprsmm

I am living in Saudi Arabia. I bought new dog, it's a German Sheppard puppy and it's just 45 days old. He was in a farm with his sister and his health was so good, I bought it before yesterday and until now he is refusing to eat. At the farm he was eating very well, dry food mixed with water. With me, I try many kinds of food (dry food mixed with water, wet food pedigree for puppy, mixed dry and wet food, even milk he refuse to drink it), but he just drinks water.

I took him to a doctor and they give him vitamins and antibiotics and still he refuses to eat. He will play with me and walk with me in and outside of the house. I need to know what his problem with eating is and if someone can help me.

Mohed

Answers:

My New Puppy Won't Eat

That's awfully young for a puppy to leave it's mother. Has he/she been weaned? Usually the moms don't wean the babies until they are about 8 weeks old. You may call the farm and ask what the puppy was eating, and see if he/she was still nursing. You may have to give puppy formula. Good luck! He is a cutie! Also, as everyone else said, it takes several days for a dog to adjust to new surroundings, and they may refuse to eat for several days. Keep trying! (04/03/2008)

By Krystyna

My New Puppy Won't Eat

A dog's potty area has to be separate from where he eats and sleeps. He's very young to be removed from his mother. A vet can sell you puppy formula similar to his mother's milk. (04/03/2008)

By Stngray

My New Puppy Won't Eat

I know it's not the same, but when my son was young we bought him an iguana and the iguana refused to eat. The vet and pet store said this happens some times to "stressed-out" animals (Maybe the plane ride from the US to Saudi, or leaving his mom, who knows?). But this poor iguana would neither eat NOR drink ANYTHING and sadly he died not too long after we got him. Don't believe the saying "If they're hungry eventually they'll eat", because a stressed-out animal doesn't think with his or her right mind. Yes, I agree, call the place you bought him and see what they fed him. Maybe you can have some of that food shipped to your location, then IF he eats that food slowly add another brand you can buy locally to it. Good luck! (04/03/2008)

By Cyinda

My New Puppy Won't Eat

(sent by email)

I would try some canned dog food they make for puppies. Give him some of that then try putting into dry food. Mix it good for a few days, then try to just give him dry slowly.

Cheryl (04/04/2008)

By ThriftyFun

My New Puppy Won't Eat

Try putting the pup in a quiet room all alone with the puppy food. Put out several different choices. Let him hang out in there for about 30 minutes. If he doesn't eat go sit in the floor with him and talk to him quietly and try to hand feed him some dog food. If that doesn't work, try a piece of bread. Once he gets used to his new home hopefully he will start eating. (04/05/2008)

By junebug_000

My New Puppy Won't Eat

This puppy was much too young to be weaned. You can get specialized milk at pet stores and a small bottle to bottle feed your baby. Put a little corn syrup on your finger before feedings to help get him interested in something, then put some on the bottle nipple. That should help with some nutrition until 8 weeks old. During this time also attempt the moistened puppy food by putting corn syrup on your finger and allowing one lick then put that finger into the mushy food, he should follow it and eat a bit.

Switch to dry puppy food at about 6 - 8 weeks if he's eating better. Puppies eat 1 cup of food per day per 10 lbs of weight, so if your puppy weighs 15 lbs today he gets 1.5 cups of food per day split up into 3 meals. Every 2 weeks take him to the vet and borrow the scale to check his weight (this shouldn't cost anything) so that you can adjust his daily amount of food as he gets heavier. (10/11/2008)

By Camille

Why isn't my puppy eating or drinking? it was her first real day home.

Carol from San Diego, CA

My New Puppy Won't Eat

Answers:

My New Puppy Won't Eat

When your puppy first gets home don't let them explore the whole house. Give them one room to call their own while they get used to their new home and new owner. Your puppy's food, potty place (if paper training) and bed should all be in this one room. You can introduce them to the rest of the house after they get more comforable with you and their new surroundings. After they have explored their new room and you offer them food with no distractions they should eat.

Good Luck
(01/22/2007)

By Erika

My New Puppy Won't Eat

Oh my gosh, your pup is sooo cute! Is he a pug? What a little sweetheart! I don't have any advice for you, but I sure want to know how Erica taught her Shih Tzu how to read! (01/22/2007)

By Kendy

My New Puppy Won't Eat

First, has this pup been weaned and is she already used to eating dog food. If so, start he off by feeding what she is used to ea=ting. You can change her food gradually to the puppy food of your choice. She is probably feeling shy and a little scared. Give her some time, see that she knows where her food and water and her bed are, and don't overwhelm her with lots of strangers and people handling. Remember, she is just a baby. (01/23/2007)

By Linda

My New Puppy Won't Eat

Your puppy is so darn cute! What an adorable baby! Don't worry about her not eating right away. She is in a new environment and away from her doggie mommy and litter mates so she's a little stressed.
A dog can go weeks without food but needs water available all the time.
Give her a little time to settle down and she will eat.
Good luck with that baby! (03/20/2007)