Wintergreen, Spearmint or Pepperminte to Repel Insects

Beware of the coming seasonal flying insects that are attracted to floral and fruity scents! Be as safe as possible and invest in a bottle of Ivory Liquid dish soap and put 10-12 drops of wintergreen, spearmint or peppermint essential oil in it and shake it up! You will feel especially clean and the bugs will like you a lot less! (I use mine on my person and in my hair!)

By melody_yesterday from Sedalia, MO

This makes a lot of sense, AND will help diring the much needed bath after contact with sweat and insects. It beats garlic water/oil ANYDAY. I wonder if herbal mint or Lemon Balm, a member of the mints, can be freshly ground up and used in place of expensive essential oil? Wouldn't you know, my garlic and Lemon Balm have actually STOPPED repelling these HYBRID TX mosquitos this year, so far. A brief stroll through them stirs up whole families

of mosquitos nesting beneath them on the moist cool ground/shade and my ankles/backs of knees

are becoming their prime targets/feasts! I've heard of certain insects/roaches becoming "resistant" to pest sprays, requiring more to be discovered, but this is absolutely RIDICULOUS that these bugs are

doing the same thing, somehow. Regardless, I'm staying ORGANIC, and will have to find another natural repellent. God bless you. : )

Do I understand correctly - you use this mixture as body wash and shampoo?

I use lavendar body wash and lotion, that works too. Mint oil is very expensive and effective. I have also heard of washing your clothes with a few drops of peppermint. I just put some drops of oil on the bottom of my shirt. Oils to keep the pests away: mint, lavendar, lemongrass and thyme. Hope you don't get bugged!

p.s. washing your hair with dish soap? or do you mean the hand stuff? or does ivory soap not have de-greasers?(won't take away the shine) Thanks for the idea.

Peppermint is what you want, I am 80% sure the others are poison. and never apply oil direct to skin, this dilution method is good.

oh, and mint grows very well, comes back every year like a plague. Great plant to have.

A hint on planting Mints, Lemon Balm, and Lemon Grass, plant in a container inserted in the ground, these are very aggressive plants and will take over. I have all three planted and love them and don't have too many problems with bugs around my deck, I also have a lot of lizards.

Plants That Repel Insects: Spearmint Plant
Plants That Repel Insects
Home and Garden Pest Control AdviceMay 4, 2007
Using Garlic to Prevent Fleas
Using Garlic to Prevent Fleas
Spearmint growing in a container.
Growing Spearmint
Lady Bug on a Green Leaf
Identifying Beneficial Garden Insects
Photo fo a spearmint plant.
Uses for Spearmint