Uses for Spearmint

Category Herbs
Spearmint has many culinary, herbal remedy, and other surprising uses. This is a guide about uses for spearmint.

If you have ever planted spearmint, you know that it is prolific! I have lots of it, and lots to spare. So here are 12 things to do with spearmint!

1. I place a branch (with leaves) in my car. When the sunlight heats it up, it releases its delicious scent naturally in the car and the leaves are even drying out for other uses!

2. Leave branches by open windows to add a fresh scent in the house.

3. Add a few leaves in your bathwater.

4. Sprinkle leaves in a dish in the bathroom to keep smells at bay.

5. Leaves in the cat litter box won't hurt either and cats seem to actually like the leaves! Catnip IS a mint you know!

6. Leaves left by any small critter cage (gerbils, hamsters, ferrets, etc) fights odors too.

7. A few leaves and a touch of oil or water in my electric potpourri smells great!

8. Of course it can be dried as a potpourri.

9. A sprig next to my bed stand it very relaxing at nighttime.

10. Keep a fresh sprig in a plastic bag in a purse or refrigerator is great for freshening breath after dinner, preventing stomach upsets, and may help you not to overindulge with sweets/unnecessary calories! It may be left on each person's plate for a fancy addition after a particularly spicy or garlicky meal.

11. They may be left in your shoes or sneakers to freshen them in between wears!

12. Plus they may be rubbed onto the skin when you get hot and start to perspire!

I haven't even mentioned all the wonderful drinks and foods it is normally added to! Some folks freeze a few leaves in ice cube trays to add to soups or drinks too! Fun and fancy. Enjoy!

By AHA! from Sterling, PA

Several years ago, I was at a spa. Upon arrival, I was served an ice-cold glass of water. It was so hot out and I was VERY thirsty. The water tasted different and I asked the attendant what was in it. She said just a 'smidge' of spearmint oil. I'd never heard of such a thing.

They sold 2 essential oils at the front counter; lavender and spearmint. I purchased both and began experimenting right away! A little goes a long way! For a regular-sized pitcher, just one drop is all you need. For a glass, just wet your fingertip and stir in!

I actually tried lavender water, too, but didn't care for it.

Wash, dry, and store fresh spearmint from your garden in a plastic baggy in the fridge for 4-5 days. Add to tea being brewed or add fresh leaves to iced tea along with fresh lemon and sweetener of choice. Amazingly refreshing!

By Brenda

Editor's Note: It is also a good addition to lemonade.

The combined scents of eucalyptus and spearmint can be quite refreshing, making it a good choice for homemade bath salts. This is a guide about eucalyptus spearmint bath salts.

Eucalyptus Spearmint Bath Salts

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes