Frugal Eye Make-Up Remover

Removing waterproof eye makeup can be really difficult! Why pay for expensive eye makeup removers when you can do the job at a tiny fraction of the cost?

Use no more tears baby shampoo and a Q-tip! Pour a tiny bit into a clean hand and roll a wet Q-tip in a tiny bit of the shampoo. Gently move under and over the eyelashes. Follow up with a clean wet cloth and rinse with lukewarm water.

I do not recommend this as a whole face wash, but it does make an excellent eye makeup remover.

Source: Cosmetology school. :)

By Gooby from Straughn, IN

I don't know about the no more tears shampoo. I've gotten that stuff in my eyes, and had to go to the eye doctor to get prescription eye drops, for relief. That shampoo is horribly misnamed. :-(

I find the same thing, it burns! I usually just keep some equal parts olive oil and water in a spray bottle and squirt it onto a cotton swab. If you hold it up to your eye for a bit it will help even water proof mascara just slide off.

Johnson's Baby Oil will do the trick without any burning. It also does a great job of removing make-up - then follow with a gentle soap, such as Ivory if you wish to get the oil off. Hope this helps. I have used it for years.

It's one thing to perhaps get a few soap 'bubbles' in your eyes that you can immediately rinse off while shampooing your hair but it's quite another to intentionally use as a mascara remover :-(

Have you checked out the ingredients? Among others, it contains Sodium hydroxide :-o I sure wouldn't want that anywhere on or in my eyes! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_hydroxide

Here is the Johnson & Johnson's site with the list of all ingredients:

http://johnsonsbaby.com/product.do?id=47

It might be a good idea to share this information with your cosmetology instructors.

What works for me is cream petroleum jelly and it lasts a long time.

I'd like to offer a warning about using baby oil to remove eyeliner. Even though I followed up with a wash with a gentle soap, I ended up with chronic dry eve and blurred vision in one eye. I suspect the baby oil irritated the tear duct and somehow interfered with production of tears. The problem cleared up when stopped using baby oil and began using a baby wipe to remove the makeup.

Yay, you! Great way to use your cosmetology training.

Do not use baby oil or any other kind of oil on your eyes! This can cause problems! Also, I advise against petroleum jelly. The eyes are very delicate and it is easy to cause irritation or even blockage of the pores around the eyes! Stick with baby shampoo or if you have the money, a very gentle eye makeup remover!

I use un-petroleum jelly and order it from my local health-food store.

http://www.unpetroleum.com/?id=98&pid=493

I wouldn't advise using Vaseline on any part of your skin. It's petroleum based and will only do damage. I use coconut oil. It's inexpensive, works on any kind of makeup and lasts for ages.

Woman Removing Makeup
Removing Makeup
Health & Beauty Beauty Make Up Tips RemovalMarch 11, 2010
Nail Polish Remover Stain on Leather
Fixing Nail Polish Remover Stains on Leather
Homemade Varnish Remover, Up close photo of varnished wood.
Homemade Varnish Remover
Googly eye cake
Making A Googly Eye Cake
Girl with Pink Eye (Conjunctivitis)
Pink Eye (Conjunctivitis) Remedies
🎉
🎄