Getting Husband and Cat To Get Along

How do you get your new husband to get along with your 10-year old male cat? My cat is peeing around his things and hides from him and my husband teases him. :(

Lesley from San Antonio, TX

My boyfriend hated cats. I now have a cat. He and the cat are fine now, but if I were you I would have him feed the cat. Meaning things the cat REALLY likes. Or secretly use a little sachet containing catnip in the dryer when drying a load of your new hubby's clothes. Yes. I am crazy.

One of them has to grow up and since the cat is 10 years old I think he's already grown! If your husband really wants to be friends with the cat it should be easy to do by him being the one to pretty much care for the cat: letting him in and out, fedding and watering him, and just TRYING to be friends (this means no teasing!). The cat has been the male of the house and he's re-establishing his territory by urinating close to the new males things. When he sees that your husband is a permanent part of the home he should stop IF they are on speaking terms. As I say, somebody has to grow up and it should probably be the largest one who does that!

I just can't help but wonder how your hubby treated your cat before marriage? And I certainly can't help but question the heart and motives of any human being would tease any animal let alone your baby of ten years :-( Makes me question hubby's compassion along with his maturity.

I agree with Glenn'sMom and thriftyengineer!

Tell the husband to grow up. Animals have a keen sense of who they can trust and who is untrustworthy. Pets deserve true love, affection and loyalty. A man who will mistreat an old sweet cat should be watched carefully for other signs of cruelty before you ever consider having his children.

Pets CatsOctober 7, 2008
A large cat hissing.
Dealing With Cats That Don't Get Along
Two male Persian cats.
Neutered Male Cat Mounting Other Male Cats
A cat door installed in an old door.
Teaching a Cat to Use a Cat Door
Cat Meowing
Preventing A Cat From Meowing
🎄
🍂