Removing Latex Paint From Cupboards

We recently bought a house where the wood cabinets had been painted white. What we didn't notice until we lived here is that they had been painted twice. The first coat was done properly, oil over primer.

The second is latex. No sanding. No priming. We've been here three weeks and it is peeling like crazy. I have gotten estimates ranging from $2,200 to "lady, just replace the cabinets, it would be cheaper". The paint expert at our local hardware store suggested I just peel the latex off, sand and prime, which is the cheapest option, but boring. Any advice?

By NiaMaria from St Louis, MO

Sorry to say but I think at this point about all you can do is peel and scrape what you can then sand and then prime :-( Be sure to wear a mask when you sand!

July 21, 2009 Flag

How do you remove latex paint from kitchen cupboards without taking the finish off of the cupboards? Is there anything I can use that won't be toxic to pets or to people with allergies?

Mrs_painter from Toronto

Removing Latex Paint From Cupboards

Try Denatured Alcohol, or two other products called Oops!, or Goof Off. (09/03/2006)

By Leah

Removing Latex Paint From Cupboards

Go to a Dollar Store and look for an item called Awesome. This stuff works on almost anything. So glad I found it. (11/02/2006)

By momg

Home and Garden Cleaning StainsJuly 21, 2009
Latex Gloves
Uses for Latex Gloves
Old wooden ladder leaning against a concrete wall with painted designs.
Removing Paint from Concrete
couple painting
How Can You Tell if Paint is Oil or Latex?
Latex Paint
Applying Latex Paint Over Oil Paint