Binding Carpet Remnants

contest winner icon

Affordable carpet remnants can be found at thrift stores and carpet discount outlets; however, it's extraordinarily expensive to have a carpet bound with carpet binding. It cost anywhere from $300 to $500 to have a large remnant bound professionally. I came up with this handy and functional idea that's not only cheap, it's highly durable as well.

Plain or colored burlap can be purchased for around $1 or less per yard. Calculate the amount you'll need by measuring all sides of carpet remnant. Give yourself some extra yardage for "oopsies". Cut strips of burlap that will fold both over and under the sides of the carpet. Secure with hot glue. (I used a commercial grade glue gun). You'll have a professional look for mere pennies.

If the burlap starts to separate from carpet, simply glue back in place. A commercial grade glue gun prevents this altogether and creates a permanent bond.

By April from Albany, GA

I really like the look. Especially with the colored burlap. Where do you purchase colored burlap? Thank you. Kathy

What a great idea! There's a carpet remnant sale just down the road from me this week, so I'll go over and see what I can find.

Thank you so much for this idea. I've been waiting a long time to find out how to bind the carpet pieces I have, and using the hot glue makes the project so much easier. Thanks again.

I often use carpet scraps for cat scratching posts. This idea will help make them last longer. Excellent. Thank you

Thanks for the Information, I made 2 runners and a large 4x6 rug all for $20 from left over carpet remnants I had. Simply visited a craft store, bought some of what I think is Burlap or used to make outdoor chairs, fold it over the edges and glued it down. Looks great and is functional. No one is none the wiser I made it until I told them.

Uses for Carpet Remnants
Uses for Carpet Remnants
Home and Garden Home Improvement CarpetJuly 20, 2009
Up close photo of quilt binding.
Binding a Quilt
Empty Burlap Sack
Uses for Burlap
Storing Carpet Remnants
Storing Carpet Remnants
A carpet remnant turned into an area rug or doormat.
Homemade Doormat Ideas