Uses for Carpet Remnants

Affordable carpet remnants can be found at thrift stores and carpet discount outlets; however, it's extraordinarily expensive to have a carpet bound with carpet binding. It cost anywhere from $300 to $500 to have a large remnant bound professionally. I came up with this handy and functional idea that's not only cheap, it's highly durable as well.

Plain or colored burlap can be purchased for around $1 or less per yard. Calculate the amount you'll need by measuring all sides of carpet remnant. Give yourself some extra yardage for "oopsies". Cut strips of burlap that will fold both over and under the sides of the carpet. Secure with hot glue. (I used a commercial grade glue gun). You'll have a professional look for mere pennies.

If the burlap starts to separate from carpet, simply glue back in place. A commercial grade glue gun prevents this altogether and creates a permanent bond.

By April from Albany, GA

4 More Solutions

I found this berber carpet remnant (13 feet x 17 feet) at our local Habitat Thrift Store. I only paid $30 for it and it was brand new! Most Habitat resale stores will carry home improvement deals left over from housing projects.

Berber Carpet Remnants

Our Parish has new good quality large remnant carpet pieces donated by a parishioner and we are trying to locate a company in town that will buy them. Are you able to connect us with such a company? We have not been successful at locating one online. There is a truck that drives around town that reads, "We buy used carpets" on their panels, but I cannot find them online and, darn it - I never jotted down the phone number.

We are located in Milwaukee, WI. Our zip code is 53220.

Answers

There seems to be a large number of carpet mills in Milwaukee so it may not be easy to sell what you have.
You may be able to sell them yourself but you'll have to check out prices at some of your local carpet mills as we have no way to give you any true value.

I would suggest listing in your local sites like Craigslist, USA4Sale and other sites that show pick up only - no shipping.
Depending on how much you have you may have to break it up into small groups.
Maybe your church could have a yard sale and these could be displayed along with other donated items.

Remnants are not always easy to sell (in any part of the country) as there will be a very select choice of sizes and colors.

Answer this Question

How do you hand bind carpet remnants? We just got new wall to wall installed and I would like to bind some remnants for area rugs.

How can I bind my carpet remnants myself?

Home and Garden Home Improvement CarpetOctober 13, 2012
🍀
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Uses-for-Carpet-Remnants.html