Flowering Plants for Garden Walkways

This is the start of my new walkway.The concrete squares will be staggered. I'd like to plant tiny flowers or something that has runners with some color where the new soil will be. Any suggestions? Izzy Bella (former Keeper's new puppy entry) loves to be outside and into everything.

By Keeper from NC

Dianthus Plants for an Evening Garden

Lining a walkway garden with white flowers will brighten a path for visitors. Annual pinks, a type of Dianthus, is another plant that mixes well with others. Gardeners can choose a colorful plant for the center while lining each side with white alyssum and solid white Dianthus. Good luck.

I recommend Magic Carpet, a variety of creeping thyme. It is a "ground-hugging evergreen perennial groundcover that is adorned with cherry-pink flowers" (Territorial Seed Co. # YHR1361) in summer suited to zones 4-9. Especially nice is the lemon scent and it grows very well where there's foot-traffic such as on a walkway. Good luck!

There also are some interesting "walkables" that are designed to go between the steps...you can also do them on the side, but then if they run over a bit, it's not a big deal if you step on them. There are some sedum varieties that grow along the ground versus up.

What we use here is a fast spreading ground cover called Creeping Jenny. It has tiny white flowers in the Spring, grows in any type of soil, is drought tolerant and can be mowed and walked on. Once the flowers are gone, it's still is quite pretty. We live in Massachusetts where the Winters are fierce and Summers are miserably hot and humid and our Creeping Jenny keeps spreading and growing..In bad, sandy soil..Hardly ever watered. You just can't kill these dainty looking (but tough) flowering fast spreading perennials.

I want to thank you for your suggestions.I'm slow going but all good things come to those who wait...Right?:-). Izzy,my 5 month old fur baby loves to garden along with me but she's got things backwards. I plant and she comes from behind and digs them up so she's being taught in reverse now.