The Path Garden (Moorpark, CA)

A bare pedestrian path can become a beautiful garden space with some work and tender loving care. This page contains photos and information about Great Granny Vi's Path Garden in Moorpark, CA. She had turned the walkway between two neighborhood retaining walls into a sanctuary, filled with different plants, flowers and gifts of garden art.

Jupiter's Beard is a good cut flower. It self seeds. They need little water and is surviving in poor clay soil here on the "Path Garden". It could be a weed soon. LOL

By Great Granny Vi from Moorpark, CA

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

A nice person asked me to send these two pictures in so people could see the difference from our side of the path and the other side of the green belt. This path runs through from our block to the school. And children and parents and others use it as a short cut. People from other areas come to walk/ride bikes and many walk their dogs through this brown belt.

By Great Granny Vi

after a bath

Comment Like this photo? 22

Looks like someone has been busy decorating in the "Path Garden" again. Hubby found these last Saturday. He hung two of the bird houses in trees, put the smallest on a pole back in the garden, and placed the shells back where they were left. He also found one flat painted rock with glitter near the chair and bench. Some little one signed the guest book, "Thank you for making My Secret Garden, I love it." Don't you just love it? I do.

By Great Granny Vi from Moorpark, CA

Children's Garden Gifts (The Path Garden)

Comment Like this photo? 12

I heard voices in the garden and opened the gate to find a little girl signing my guest book. She had brought the painting to the garden with her dad. She had set it on the ground near a big rock.

The Dad said her older sister had asked them to bring her painting to "the secret garden" for her. I was very touched that a child would paint a picture for the garden and told them we would put a frame on it and hang it for everyone to see.

One day I'll have to let you take a peek at the nice things people say in the guest book.

By Great Granny Vi from Moorpark, CA

Comment Like this photo? 9

Last Saturday two of the children that come to the Path Garden almost every day came with this wind chime. They told me they had gone to a yard sale in our neighborhood and when they saw it they thought they should buy it for the garden. DH added a hook for them and they picked out the arch as the place to hang it. They are the same girl and boy (just friends) that brought warm cookies and a sweet note to the gate last year.

By Great Granny Vi from Moorpark, CA

Windchime for Path Garden gate.

Comment Like this photo? 5

A few flowers (and one of berries) that are blooming in the garden. Not a lot of color, but still nice to walk through and see a new flower every few days.

As you may know in the southern part of CA, we have had several days of 70 to 80 plus temps. And it looks like we'll have a few more, with 80 high and 39 low on Sunday in some parts. I hope you had a chance to watch the Rose Parade, it was a good one.

By Great Granny Vi from Moorpark, CA

Comment Like this photo? 7

The garden gate as seen from the "Path" side area behind our house, a common area.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 1

Here are a few more pictures of what is happening in the Path Garden now.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 6

Some one has left garden art at the Path garden and at our gate. One day we had this angel at the gate, and another that was left with a broken head that had been fixed and a leg in pieces left on a tree stump.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 4

These are just a few of the new garden gifts we have found so far this year. An Eagle Scout brought a few friends to help in the garden last week. Some planted and some helped clean and trim.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 2

I had another surprise at the Garden Gate last week. Some kind person and her dog left this hand soap and a note tied to the arch over the garden gate. Such a treat for these old hands. And much appreciated. The hand made card was very cute too.GG Vi

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 3

Another surprise tucked away in the garden today. These look to be wooden dolls, but may be resin. I picked up one and the far hand is missing. So I sat it back and will go look tomorrow and glue them down where they were left, on the ladder.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 2

A lady from another neighborhood was walking her granddaughter through the garden. She said her daughter lives in our area and she babysits every week for her. She comes down the garden path a lot ...

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 4

When it comes to rose buds, I love the clear colors and so pure, as this white one from the Path Garden. Here is another Angel Face, full opened. Enjoy each in their own beauty.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 4

Because our yard is 2 steps down from "The Path Garden" and we had to pile dirt (sand bags) up to keep the rain from flooding the back yard. So we just built the planting area like a raised bed.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 1

This windchime was left at the gate. Very cute. We restrung the danglers and made them shorter. So people signing the Path Garden guest book wouldn't get them tangled up in their hair.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 2

A friend donated this plant. I don't know the name, she collects succulents and has many. She doesn't know the names of all of them yet. But the flowers are so pretty and there were 6-8 on the one plant this year. Now they are growing so fast and I will move more of them around in The Path Garden and will have to plant some in pots for the "plant give away" next spring. I pray that we'll get rain this year. The Path Garden isn't doing well with out it.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 2

Angels are leaving angels on the Path Garden again. Here are pictures of the newest ones. If this keeps up I may have to change the name to Garden of Angels.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 1

Here is the newest angel left in The Path Garden. Once again someone has left a surprise in the garden. Always a treat to find treasures to delight visitors as they stroll through the garden.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 4

In the Path Garden I made a place for visitors to stop and rest if they want to. Two green chairs were donated. I painted flowers on the chairs and wrote "Stop and Rest in the Garden Chair" across the top and "Please Do Not Remove" across the bottom.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 1

We have some stunning sunsets here in Moorpark, right outside our front door.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 10

This little Hummer was just sitting on the edge of the new fountain in the back yard. DH said "Come bring your camera, Hurry". So I did and snapped several pictures. This fountain has been added to the mini rose garden.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 11

Here are the first blooms of spring, in February 2012 at the Path Garden.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 5

With winter being so bad in many parts of the country now I hope everyone will enjoy the roses that we have blooming in the yard. Some of them are as big as my hand.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 10

A couple of these palms have come up in The Path Garden. Recently someone told me they were Mexican Palms and not native to this area and will destroy the garden.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

We are working to make a new iris bed on the "Path Garden". This spot was damaged some by the renters in the house next to this short wall. So we've decided to add some donated tiles to make it a home for bearded iris.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 1

Here are some 2010 photos of "The Path Garden". Yes, I am still able to keep this corner of my world blooming. We have had some rain this year which has helped a lot with the water bill.

By Great Granny Vi

Spring on

Spring on

Answers:

Spring on "The Path Garden"

Awesome "Path Garden". I love the colors. Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed your profile also. (04/27/2010)

By keeper60

Spring on "The Path Garden"

Your garden is lovely! I wish I had one like this in my yard. Aww, being an artist this really appeals to my visual delight. (04/30/2010)

By Artlady

Spring on the

Here is a pretty flower from "The Path Garden", still don't know the name of it though.

By Great Granny Vi

Answers:

Spring on the "Path Garden"

I think that's a variety of allium. The foliage appears to be similar to that of daffodils/jonquils, which is what allium foliage looks like. And the bloom looks like allium, although most allium that I've seen are lavender to purple, depending upon the variety. Perhaps it looks more blue than lavender in the pic, but is lavender in 'real life'? The true test would be to dig down around the bulb, and if it smells like an onion, (sniff your hand, lol) it's allium! I love them in W. Central Ohio, mine bloom in May. I think I've gotten that 'aroma' when cutting off the stalks, too, but not certain.

I love your path garden! Your idea was very creative and I'm sure your neighborhood appreciates your labor of love! Keep the pics coming. I really enjoy looking at gardens. Guess it's because they're always SO pretty and I don't have to break a sweat! ;D Thanks, and good luck with your 'mystery flowers'! (04/01/2010)

By janiebean

Spring on the "Path Garden"

This looks like the same kind of flower to me. I don't know the name of it either, I call it my star flower! (04/01/2010)

By jackie.mantel

RE: Spring on the

Spring on the "Path Garden"

Looks like an agapanthus.
(04/02/2010)

By Plantpassion

Spring on the "Path Garden"

It looks like allium. If you break a piece off and it smells like onions, it is defiantly allium. (04/02/2010)

By kellyfive

Here are some lovely pictures of Great Granny Vi's Garden Path.

Garden Path

Garden Path

Garden Path

By Great Granny Vi from Moorpark, Ca.

Answers:

Pictures of the Path Garden

Oh pretty flowers. (03/08/2006)

By meoowmom

Pictures of the Path Garden

What beautiful flowers you have. Thank you for sharing. I love looking at other people's gardens . (03/09/2006)

By FireFly1985

Pictures of the Path Garden

Simply Beautiful!!!! (03/10/2006)

By Karen in SC

Yesterday two ladies came to my door thanking me for the garden. One told me her husband had died 4 weeks ago and would it be all right if she planted a rose bush in his memory in the garden. I told her yes, it is your garden, too.

Great Grannie Vi's Path Garden

Great Grannie Vi's Path Garden

Great Grannie Vi's Path Garden

Great Grannie Vi's Path Garden in November Before Planting
Before Planting in November 2004

By Great Granny Vi from Moorpark, Ca.

Editor's Note: When preparing these photos for publishing I recognized the pathway. GGVi had sent me pictures before she planted and said she planned to work on it. It certainly is beautiful! And what a wonderful thing to do for your neighborhood.

Answers:

Spring on the "Path Garden"

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL! It must be amazing to see in person because it is gorgeous in pictures! Thank you for sharing! You definitely have a gift. (05/27/2006)

By Grandma Margie

Spring on the "Path Garden"

Thank you for sharing such a great idea and beautiful path. (05/30/2006)

By meoowmom

Spring on the "Path Garden"

What a wonderful area to work in, and look at, and share. God bless you for your kindness. (05/30/2006)

By siris.

Spring on the "Path Garden"

What a beautiful garden.....GrannyVi is always sharing things with all of us.....Bless you, granny!! (05/30/2006)

By janlee1513

Spring on the "Path Garden"

WOW!! What an incredible gift to your community!!! What inspired you to do this and how did you get started? My yard looks like the "before" photos. I don't have much of a green thumb but want to be a "great gardener." Can you give me some beginner tips?

Thanks for sharing your beautiful garden with us!

Tricia (05/30/2006)

By Tricia

Spring on the "Path Garden"

What a beautiful garden. I just retired and my back yard had a pool and desert landscaping, blah. I am going to make my back yard a place of beauty. I'm sure it will take me a long time to have it half as beautiful as yours. Planting a rose in honor of your neighor was just a wonderful gesture.
I walk around my neighborhood and thank people that make my walk more enjoyable because of their hard work on their yards. Thanks again for your time. (05/31/2006)

By Linda from Las Vegas.Nv

Spring on the "Path Garden"

absolutely the most beautiful spot that I have seen in a long while....wish I lived where I could see it everyday....thanks for sharing it with us.... (06/01/2006)

By Debbie

Spring on the "Path Garden"

Thank you everyone for the kind words. I'll tell you it was in self defence that I started the garden. We have lived here for 32 years.About 28 -29 years ago, I was in the back yard when I heard kids playing, They were wanting to start a "Campfire" in the leaves from the Eucalyptus trees, So I got out my hose and started watering just in case. It was so unnerving that I had my hubby put in a gate so I could keep an eye on that pathway.Since I was able to have ready access, I saw all kinds of trash being thrown out there. Including graffiti, drug paraphernalia,condoms,new and used,dirty diapers,bottles,cans and other trash. Plus big dog poop.I have had to battle kids every year,they come and pull up the plants and flower tops and in general just distroy things. But I am a stubborn woman. I will continue replanting as long as I can. It is reward enough when people drop off plants,seeds and just a thank you as they stroll by.We have had only one small area of graffiti in many years and that happened when I was in the hospital. If you are out and about watering weeding, people will notice and say how wonderful, the job you do, funny they never think to say" How can I help? " Would be nice if they would offer to pay a few dollars on a months water bill or buy snail bait , Or better yet help in the garden once a month. Wishful thinking I guess. But I am happy to keep my little corner of the world a nicer place to be. And Tricia, rake up the dirt, throw seeds of your choice and water in. Sprinkle every day for 14 days and when you see the plants start to grow , water once a week. I'll be happy to send you some of the seeds I have collected to help you get started. That goes for any of the others that would like some. Just send me an email through thrifty fun. Happy gardening Hugs, GG Vi (06/23/2006)

By Great Granny Vi

RE: Spring on the

Spring on the "Path Garden"

This what the path looks like on the other side of the greenbelt form the garden path. GG Vi (06/23/2006)

By Great Granny Vi

RE: Spring on the

Spring on the "Path Garden"

This is great. I'm 26 and got a new house here in Dallas TX. I just woke up one morning and decided on gardening. Now I have to gardening bug. I love it. I even got my mother growing greens at her house. The average food travels 1200 miles before it gets to your door. Just something to think about. I have learned a lot about gardening from youtube. I just type in how to grow something and I watch a short video on it.

The net is your best source of info. I even though about planting fruit trees and not regular cover trees for my new home. I've got tons of ideas if anyone wants some advice. j30mack @ yahoo.com for questions. (11/11/2008)

By Jor

Spring on the "Path Garden"

Beautiful garden!What a great way to make use of the space and give people something wonderful to enjoy!
Thanks for sharing your inspiration and the pictures! (01/25/2009)

By Dorsi