Smoke Detector Goes Off When I Walk Past

Why does my body heat make the smoke alarm go off when I go by it? What can I do to keep it from setting it off?

By Susan from VA

Answers

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Does this only happen when you are cooking, or all the time? Since they work by smoke particles getting between the radioactive element and the receiver, if you have the detector near the kitchen (not recommended), the odors that stay in the air may be disturbed by your movement, causing the particles in the odor to set off the detector. Try moving the detector and see if the problem still exists. You didn't say anything about replacing the batteries, so I'm thinking this isn't a situation where the batteries need to be changed. If the detector isn't near the kitchen, I'd either buy a new one (they're cheap insurance) or ask your landlord to replace it if you are a renter.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Home SafetyDecember 9, 2010
Cleaning Smoke Stains from Walls
Cleaning Smoke Off Walls
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
Troubleshooting a Smoke Detector
Troubleshooting a Smoke Detector
Electric Smoke Detector
Electric Smoke Detector Won't Stop Beeping
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 17, 2017 at 3:40:46 PM on 10.0.0.113 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.