Browsing: Using Dawn Dish Soap as a Stain Remover

Use Dawn Dish Soap as a Stain Remover

I really can't take any credit for this tip at all, except to tell you that it works. I used it to remove human urine from the decorative contour rug around our commode. Recently, someone from ThriftyFun suggested it and all credit to her.

I'd never been able to fully remove these urine stains. And believe me, I used everything. I used so much bleach that the rugs faded. In fact, I just got into the habit of buying new rugs regularly. This time, I wet a white rag with water and sprinkled a few drops of Dawn dishwashing liquid on it and rubbed it into the stain. I did work it in very well, but not for a long time.

I washed the mat with the highest setting of hot water, bleach (I don't measure bleach; I just count as I pour it, so I counted to 10 for the bleach). I use the cheapest laundry detergent I can find, but always less than they suggest. For the first time in ten years of marriage the stain came out. I couldn't believe it. No more Resolve or anything else for me. I'm going to try Dawn on every single stain and see what happens. Next time, I'm not going to use any bleach either.

Just one more thing. I threw away the rag I used to rub the Dawn into the urine spot. I only use white rags anyway to clean and I have a ton of them so if they get ratty or stained badly I throw them out. Sorry, but I can't stand dirty rags! They're just plain white bar towels or washcloths, the kind you get at Walmart 10 for $3.00. When I wash my rags I "count" the bleach to about 20, add my cheap detergent, but always less than they recommend.

I always, always use lots of water and less laundry. My mother taught me that the secret to clean bright laundry is lots of water and less soap. It always works for me. When the laundry and bleach are agitated together, I keep the lid open on the washing machine and let them soak in the bleach water, sometimes for most of the day. Then I close the lid and let the cycle finish. My rags are glowing white. I'm so proud! I hope you'll try Dawn and post your results.

Source: ThriftyFun.com

By metroplex from Houston, TX

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

It works great getting dye stains out of fabric. I used everything then I used Dawn and voila, out it came. Glad you found something else useful to use it on.

Just had to write and say that Dawn works wonders! I have been trying to get urine stains out of the area rug around my toilet for over 2 years now ~ Clorox, Shout, RIT stain remover, vinegar, nothing worked. I thought today I would try one more time when I saw this and it worked!

I use Dawn all the time on grease stains but didn't even think to use on urine. I squirted the Dawn on the rug, rubbed it in lightly with a brush and then washed in hot water with a little Clorox and the stains came out! Thanks so much for the tip now I don't have to throw out the rugs I love or be embarrassed by the stains!!

10 seconds of pouring bleach? No wonder your stuff fades! That is a LOT of bleach. Especially if you are only washing a few things. Unless you pour really slow.

I use Hubby's old tee shirts. I cut them across at the arm pits and use the whole back/tummy portion without the sleeves.

April 24, 2009 Flag

I have tried all kinds of spot removers for clothes. I had a stain on a white sweater one day and had to change it, so I could go to work.

Bottle of Dawn Dish Soap
Using Dawn Dish Soap as a Stain Remover
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsMay 24, 2010
Hand washing shower wall
Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors
dawn for fleas
Dawn Dishsoap For Fleas
Dish Soap Bottle Dolls
Dish Soap Bottle Dolls
Man Holding Burger with Mustard Stain on his Tie
Removing Stains on Clothing
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 27, 2016 at 7:06:34 PM on 10.0.1.222 in 425 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.