Different Way for Washing Ball Caps

My husband's favorite ball cap is pure white with green lettering on it, and it got so disreputable that even he wouldn't wear it any longer. Machine washing did nothing so I ran it through the washer one more time to make sure it was as clean as it could get (the set-in sweat stains were hopeless!), then put it into the dishwasher on the top rack with Cascade dishwashing powder in the dispenser cups and ran it through both wash and rinse cycles. (Do not let the dry cycle begin!) It came out spotlessly clean! Even the green lettering on it was fully intact - it looked as good as new. I then ran the dishwasher through another "cleaning cycle" to make sure nothing remained of the hat before I loaded the dishes.

By Ronsan from Southwest Missouri

I have used dishwasher liquid for a long time as a presoak for stained clothing. Sometimes on all white things I will also add a little bleach to it. Then wash as usual. It does work great in most all cases.

Thank you for the tip. I have heard of this before

but thought "ick" then your tip washing it first

in washing machine and then your tip about running

dishwasher after was GREAT.

I worked for a dentist who would tell me he would

use dishwasher to steam cook his fish, now I never

asked for details on that.....

Thank YOu again.

hope you win the tip vote.

I have been told that powder Casade has a water softener ingredient. Apparently making the water softer makes the detergent ingredient work better. It works great on grass stains.

Thanks for the tip. I've used this method for a few years with great success, particularly on the light-colored hats. But I've had problems with the color of the caps fading on several dark-colored hats. I use cascade as the detergent. Do you have any tips to prevent fading?

Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryApril 25, 2006
Uses for Plastic Bottle Caps
Uses for Plastic Bottle Caps
Felt covered bottle cap becomes Easter bonnet.
Craft Uses for Plastic Bottle Caps
Uses for Shower Caps
Uses for Shower Caps
Craft Ideas Using Metal Bottle Caps
Craft Uses For Metal Bottle Caps