Removing Oil and Odors from Work Clothing

My husband works in a plant that makes sinks for kitchens. His clothes have oil and the worst odor on them. I have tried Dawn, Pine Sol, and even tried liquid Comet. None of them work at all. I have used a whole box of Tide in one day on his clothes with no luck. Can I get some suggestions? Thanks.

By Penny from Lumberton, NC

A couple of options to try:

1. Borax is supposed to be a good deodorizer for laundry.

2. Sam's Club sells a product called Odo-Ban (I think I've seen it in Home Depot, too.).

Buy the gallon jug, not the spray bottle. The gallon is concentrated. There are instructions on the label as to how much to use for various applications.

If you can find it, Lestoil is the best.

Have him ask his co workers what they or their wives use on ther clothes.

I have heard lestoil is great. I personally use about 1 tablespoon of powder dishwashing soap along with tide to the wash cycle. I use a cup of white vinegar in the rinse water. They smell like vinegar when you take them out. But it is gone when they are dry. It really does help with the odor.

If you can pretreat the oil, get a jar of GoJo hand cleaner to pretreat. Add some lestoil to your wash with Tide etc. and add about a cup of Lemon Scented Ammonia to the rinse.

August 1, 2012 Flag

My son works in a machine shop with machines that spray oil. His clothes get very very oily and stink. I don't want my HE washer ruined from the oil deposits. Is there a way to degrease them first, then put in the washer? I also don't want the smell to stay in the washer or dryer.

By Kim A.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can always wash them out by hand.

Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsMarch 2, 2011
Disposing of Used Motor Oil, Used Motor Oil in a Gallon Jug
Disposing of Used Motor Oil
dirty garage floor
Removing Oil Stains from Garage Floor
Up close photo of a dirty driveway.
Removing Oil Spills from Your Driveway
Jug of used motor oil.
Removing Motor Oil Stains From Carpet
🎄
🍂