Planting an Apple With Amaryllis Bulbs

I know that my mind is going but I'm certain that I heard somewhere that an apple put in a paper bag with a newly planted amaryllis bulb for 1 week would hasten root growth, stem growth, and eventually blooming. It has to do with the ethylene given off by the apple. However I sure would hate to kill my 2 amaryllis plants so I'm trying to find someone to back up this nutty theory. Anyone willing? Thanks!

Hardiness Zone: 5b

Barbara from Wickliffe, OH

Where you live you do your amaryllis in pots and if the leaves haven't started out and you just started them I would wait at least a week or two for the roots to grow then put the apple in the bag. Note: when the plants start to turn green you should take it off! You do this mostly for bromides and it works for them but you can't do any harm with this if when the plant begins to grow you remove the bag. Amaryllis actually bloom after you allow them to die back, not removing the leaves until they are dead, by letting it go through a dry period with no water or turning the pot on it's side. If you cut the leaves off you delay the blooming process.

bkn

Amaryllis go like gangbusters without extra care, like 4 inches per day sometimes. Is there a need for an apple treatment?

Well, I still think my mind is going and I do believe I read this apple deal when studying bromides... But, the good news is that I did let them have an 8 week sabatical, in their pots, tipped on their sides in a cool place. These are INSIDE plants. When tipped upwards, I only watered them [it's been 9 days] and the beautiful leaves are growing and I ate the apple instead!

Home and Garden Gardening BulbsFebruary 24, 2009
Disposing of Light Bulbs (Incandescent), A light bulb.
Disposing of Light Bulbs (Incandescent)
Fall crocus bulbs.
Growing Bulbs in Every Season
Growing Amaryllis, Red amaryllis blooms.
Growing Amaryllis
Orange and yellow tulip bulbs.
Growing Bulbs
🎄
🍂