Tips and Techniques for Planting Bulbs

Category Bulbs
Bulbs are a wonderful addition to your landscape, they will multiply and provide beautiful colors, shapes, and fragrances in your garden for years to come. Planting dozens of bulbs can seem a bit overwhelming at first. Read the following article for tips on buying and planting bulbs.

Fall is the season for planting spring-blooming bulbs. The idea of planting dozens of bulbs can seem like an intimidating task - especially to new gardeners. Here are some tips and techniques to help make the job easier.

Buying Bulbs

Selecting A Site

Planting Times

Planting Techniques

Thwarting Pests

Popular Spring Flowering Bulbs

I have raised planter boxes. In the past I have planted bulbs in these containers without success, the bulbs never come up. I'm assuming they are freezing over our harsh New England winters. I'm wondering if I plant the bulbs in pots first, then put them into the raised planter if that it might give them a better chance of not freezing. Any help or different solution would be greatly appreciated.

Thx

Answers

Best Answer

They need to be planted in the fall, 8 inches below the ground level. Raised beds and containers are above ground, so they are most likely freezing.

If you want them in the raised beds, plant the pots in the ground, then when they come up move the pots at that time to the raised beds.

You would have to move them back again in the fall.

Which way do you plant the bulbs? I know there is a top and bottom and am not sure. One end looks like it was cut and other end is untouched. I tend to think that is the upside of the bulb, the one with the 'cut', and the flat side being bottom?

Thanks.

Answers

I'm not familiar with bulbs that have cuts, but I do know 2 things I can share. 1. The pointier, smoother end goes up and the round, rougher end goes down. 2. If you're not sure which is which, place it on it's side. It'll figure out on it's own how to grow toward the sun and heat. :-) Good luck!

The pointy side goes up. The package should also tell you how deep to plant it.

Better Homes and Garden's has this great guide for multiple lovely flower types...hope it helps!!

Be sure to plant for your zone (if you are in the US).

If you don't know your zone or best planting times, contact your local home extension office..

The bulb guide and HE links are below:

www.bhg.com/.../

www.gardeningknowhow.com/extension-search

Happy planting!! I hope you have better luck than me with bulbs! In my neighborhood we call bulbs "deer food". They must be desperate because they even eat the ones they aren't supposed to like :)

You may receive better suggestions/advice if you could provide your USDA zone (or country if not US) as well as the type of bulb you are trying to plant.
A picture of your bulb (and the container it was purchased in) would also be helpful - you can use cell phone and upload picture to this site.

I'm only mentioning this as most bulbs need to be planted in the fall/winter for spring blooming and this is getting on to spring so not sure what bulbs you are planting.