Wildlife: Spider (Argiope-Aurantia)

This beastie (around 2 inches, tip to tip) has taken residence on the outside of my living-room window, right at nose-view height for our dog to stare at.

I looked her up: The (harmless) female Argiope-aurantia spins this zig-zaggedy web, onto which a male will create his own on a corner. She's now been with us about 2 months.

By Nica

She is beautiful; and what a great photograph! Thanks for sharing!

Aren't those spiders just the prettiest! And at the same time the scariest. I had 2 visiting last summer-one at my picture window that was about 3 maybe even 4 inches long and the other was smaller about an inch or a tiny bit bigger. I was saddened by their loss when a crew came to fix hurricane damage on our house and one of the men killed both of my beauties because he was afraid of spiders! I had seen the male spider visiting the larger female so I had hopes of babies. Only to discover the same man had found the egg case and had sprayed it with bug spray. He quickly learned that I do not allow bug spray to be used except in extreme cases.

Blow gently on the web and the spider will start doing push-ups, shaking the web. It's a defense act they use to scare away predators plus catch they own prey.

Photos GardenSeptember 29, 2010
Spider Veins
Spider Vein Remedies
Spider decoration on a light fixture.
Making a Spider Egg Sac Light Cover
Spider on web with dew drops on it.
Spider Repellent Recipes
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Black Widow Spider Costume
🎄
🍂