Substitute for Cream Cheese in Cheesecake

Although not my favorite, my husband occasionally picks up a Jell-o No Bake Cheesecake for me to make. What do they use for the "cheesecake" filling that we could possibly pull out of our pantry to substitute for cream cheese when we do not have cream cheese stocked in the fridge? There are so many recipes that require cream cheese, not just cheese cake, and I rarely purchase this item. I would appreciate any insight given on this topic. I have had many great successes with substitutions in the past and am always looking for "plan B". Thanks.

By Mom from MO

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Best Answer

Strained yogurt or cottage cheese will substitute in recipes but it's not an identical substitute. The yogurt is more tangy than cream cheese. The cottage cheese should be blended in a blender first to eliminate lumps. Strain in a coffee filter placed in a mesh strainer overnight.

Jello No Bake Cheesecake is a far cry from real cheesecake. It's probably made with whey, artificial flavorings and chemicals. If you find you need cream cheese so often, why not just buy it? It lasts much longer than the expiration date.

Best Answer

You could probably get by with either an instant, or cooked pudding that can be stored in the pantry for quite a while, but it won't have that cream cheese flavor. If you are using it in a pie, just reduce the amount of milk by 1/4 cup to make it firmer.

Best Answer

Jello Brand makes cheesecake flavored pudding. I bet if you added a little vanilla to freshen it up it would be similar. I only bake cheesecake from scratch because I prefer the flavor, I can adjust the sugar content and because it's so easy. I don't do the water bath though, I just put a lasagna pan with a couple inches of water on the shelf below the cheesecake. Try it with hot fudge! MMMMmmmmmmmmmmm

I agree with OliveOyl, cream cheese is not that expensive. I agree too that the mixes are just not good for your health. Who knows what kind of chemicals are in the mixes.

Jello makes a good cheesecake flavored pudding. Walmart makes their brand as well. It won't taste exactly the same but will work for a sweet version.

I couldn't survive without cream cheese. I don't believe you can make cheese cake without cream cheese. Pudding is pudding. You would have to eat it with a spoon. I even buy fat free cream cheese and make cheese cake from it. They are simple to make. Just a few ingredients. The Philadelphia cream cheese box usually has the recipe.

To make a really delicious cheesecake, buy a container of Philadelphia Ready To Eat Cheesecake Filling. You can find it in the refrigerated pudding section of the store. Buy a prepared graham cracker crust and there you have it. Just spread the cheesecake filling into the graham cracker crust. So easy and tastes delicious.

Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Desserts CheesecakeAugust 8, 2010
A piece of carrot cake on plate with cream cheese frosting
Cream Cheese Frosting Recipes
Cream Cheese Brownies
Cream Cheese Brownies
Ricotta cheese on fig leaves on white plate, with cheese knife.
Freezing Ricotta Cheese
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 17, 2017 at 4:01:03 PM on 10.0.0.113 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.