Browsing: Reusing Pet Food Bags

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Reusing Pet Food Bags

Pet food bags can be reused in a variety of ways including crafts. This is a guide about reusing pet food bags.

Reusing Pet Food Bags
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

July 23, 2015 Flag

Instead of watching my outdoor upholstered pillows on my many chairs become faded and mildewed, I decided to stuff them into recycled pet food bags!

outdoor chair with pillows covered with bird seed and dog food bags

I simply used the waterproof bags like giant pillowcases and filled them with my aging, faded outdoor pillows, older bed pillows or blankets. I taped up the tops but if you are more energetic than I you could always whip stitch them closed pretty easily.

Great if you have any big waterproof bags from animal feeds or even grass seed bags!

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 20, 2010 Flag

What are some uses for cat and dog pet food bags? I used some pet food and litter bags this week as weed blocking plastic. I just pulled the bulk of the weeds, laid down the bags (with the bottoms cut out and opened) and covered with mulch.

Do you have any other ideas for using pet food bags?

Hardiness Zone: 6b

By C from USA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Best Answer

I use them in my big freezer to store food for longer periods of time, particularly when we are gone for 4 months during the winter. It adds extra protection for all my frozen foods, and I can get tons in the big 40 to 50 pound bags.

Best Answer

I use empty cat food bags to put wet cat litter in when I clean out the litter boxes. Every time I add more litter to the bag I sprinkle it with baking soda. I use the baking soda which was previously in the fridge or freezer. Reduce ~ Reuse ~ Recycle

Read More Answers...

December 12, 2011 Flag

What can I do with the empty dry dog food bags?

By Joy from FL

Best Answer

Place card board products you are going to recycle like pop cases, cereal boxes, pizza boxes, etc. in bag.

Best Answer

Sew several bags together to make a "sheet" to go under a dog's bed clothes. Often animals lay on blankets that can get wet from the ground, etc. Just put this under the blankets and keep them dry.

Read More Answers...

September 2, 2013 Flag

Ever since Purina began using of the large size polypropylene "DuraWeave" bags I have been saving them, certain a good use would arise and they would not go to waste. In particular, my first thought had been how well these might be used for sandbagging in flood situations, or passed out to victims of tornado or other disaster for salvage/clean-up efforts.

I now have roughly 500 of these, mostly the 16-18lb cat food size, but also a number of 25-33lb as well, and to my surprise, as yet have found no one interested in them. I have even contacted Purina in regard to this, and they knew of no outlets except that of their being a #5 recyclable material. Unfortunately in my location I have found no options unless I wished to pay for them to be taken for recycling. Anyone here have any good ideas along these lines?

By David

Best Answer

Have you tried Craig's list or freecycle! Either of these may have someone interested in the bags. Good luck!

Best Answer

Donate some to a local girl scout troop to make Sit-Upons.

Check terracycle.com to see if they are interested in them.

A scout troop can use them. Turn the edge over and install a drawstring. Very handy to keep camping stuff and firewood dry.

Insert an old bed pillow; baste closed. Put into and old pillowcase for a pet bed. Rescue organizations can use these in cages and kennels.

Read More Answers...

March 22, 2016 Flag

I am looking for empty pet food bags to make recycled totes in the SE part of Wisconsin. I am especially looking for large Pro Plan bags. Any suggestions?

There are plenty of feed mills in Wisconsin. Go to www.yellowpages.com.

I have atleast a dozen Purina pro plan and true instinct dog food bags. Maybe more in the attic. Let me know if you're still looking for some.

November 15, 2015 Flag

Sew a few bags together to make a 3 1/2' x 6' rectangle. It can be used as a moisture barrier under bedrolls or sleeping bags. A 7' x 6' rectangle can be folded in half to cover both the underneath and top of a bedroll; helps block moisture and wind.

February 13, 2011 Flag

If you buy pet food, feed, or flour/sugar/salt in large bags, save those bags when empty. They are just the right size for a kitchen trash can and are very sturdy - more so than the plastic trash bags.

We usually empty 2 large bags a week that I recycle into trashcan liners. That is a savings of 104 trash bags a year, which amounts to several dollars. (In my area, at the store, a bag of 20 trash bags is $4.98).

I save smaller bags for the bedroom and kitchen wastebaskets.

By mom-from-missouri from NW MO

April 26, 2010 Flag

I always keep newspaper under the litter boxes in case of "accidents". I found by cutting off the bottoms of the food bags, washing them and laying them flat; that they work well under the newspaper to keep any moisture away for the flooring.

By hoptownracer1 from USA

March 26, 2015 Flag

I am a volunteer taking care of stray cats, so I buy 12 bags or 18 lbs of cat food a week. I use all the empty bags to build shelters and food stations.

October 13, 2010 Flag

Are the pet food totes machine washable? Thanks.

By Debbie from OH

Best Answer

Debbie, I would suspect these bags are washable since they are made of plastic, though I would be careful how you wash them maybe on gentle with warm or cold water or just use a wet cloth and air dry.

I have seen large Birdseed bags and other animal food bags made with Duraweave. It is heavier than the paper styled bags; it has a slick texture and has strands of plastic weaved throughout the inside of the bag.

May 8, 2008 Flag

How do you make a purse out of a dog food bag?

Tammy from Crescent Springs, KY

Best Answer

If the bag is made of two layers (paper on the outside, waxed paper on the inside) I would separate the two layers and discard the inside layer. Then use clear Contact paper to laminate the paper. Now look on ThriftyFun or Google for a pattern using Capri Sun drink packets. Hope this helps.

I don't want to use it as a purse. I would like to use it as a travel bag for my dog's treats or dog food. I wanted to create something that resembled that plus help the environment and recycle. Thanks for asking.

Read More Answers...

April 4, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about making a dog food bag rug. Heavy duty dog food bags are the perfect material for making a rug.

Dog Food Bag Rug

November 22, 2011 Flag

I use our empty, large dog food bags to hold our cardboard recycling such as pizza boxes, pop/soda cartons, cereal boxes, etc., anything that comes in cardboard. This saves space in my recycling bin, plus the bag gets recycled as well.

August 19, 2010 Flag

Recycle a small cat food sack into a cold sack. Cat food bags are plastic coated and have multiple layers. Turn them inside out, wash by hand and you have a cold sack that really works great. A half gallon of ice cream slips right in. Just fold the top down, put a clip on or large rubber band and your ice cream will still be frozen when you get home.

By Ann from Loup City, NE

ice-cream container in cat food bag

May 14, 2013 Flag

This is a guide about making an organizer from pet food bags. You can make organizers for storing a wide variety of supplies from empty pet food bags.

Making an Organizer from Pet Food Bags

February 11, 2011 Flag

I buy dog food in 25-40 lb bags. When they are empty I use them as garbage sacks. I also reuse the small plastic grocery bags to line small trash cans around the house.

Another tip is to keep gallon milk jugs and antifreeze containers to put used motor oil, transmission fluid and antifreeze in for recycling.

By lambom from Nampa, ID

Answers:

Reuse Bags And Containers For Household Waste

13 gallon kitchen bags are so expensive and if the garbage smells, you may need to dispose of it before it is full. Here is what I do:

When buying groceries, ask for paper bags, not plastic. Line your kitchen trash bin with a liner and put a paper bag inside. When it gets full or starts to smell, take out the paper bag and put it in a 33 gallon trash can with a liner; replace the paper bag. You may use the same liner for weeks or even months. Another hint: place a dryer sheet between the liner and the paper bag, don't waste your money on 'odor control' liners.

Depending on your family size or the volume of garbage, you may only need to take the 33 gallon bag out every 2 weeks or a month. Not only does this save you money, it saves time taking our your garbage and it's better for the environment! (01/23/2010)

By mare1909

I also save and reuse the large plastic bags that mulch comes in for yard waste that we are unable to compost. They are thick, heavy, and hold quite a bit. Whenever we buy something large that is covered in a plastic bag (like a room air purifier), I use that bag for trash too. Even though our city says trash must be placed in garbage bags and not 'store' plastic bags, we have had no problems with since we place the full bags in a trash can. (01/24/2010)

By susanmajp

Want to see the effects of using plastic grocery bags and plastic bottles and other things plastic? Click on the link below. We have become a throw-away world. Think back to when you were a kid. Your parents didn't use plastic trash bags - they used paper. They didn't throw a bunch of wet stuff in the trash - they avoided doing that. You also drank water from a glass.

Plastic grocery bags are laying in our streets, hanging from our trees, floating in our oceans, buried in our dirt and they line the bottoms and shores of lakes and streams. Animals eat them and die. We will pay dearly for the "convenience" of using plastics. I'm on an Environmental Commission and planning our 20th annual Earth Day event. Our theme this year is "Back to Basics". Give that some thought. what can you do to help stop this:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/science/06/08/ocean.trash.report/index.html#cnnSTCOther1 (01/31/2010)

By ahastings7878

RE: Reuse Bags And Containers For Household Waste

April 20, 2010 Flag

What are good uses for the bags that dog food comes in?

Better Living Green Living ReusingJanuary 25, 2013
      Oranges in Mesh Bag
      Uses for Mesh Orange Bags
      Saving Money On Ziptop Bags, Coins in Zip-Lock Bag
      Saving Money On Ziptop Bags
      Pet Food in Bowl
      Buying Pet Food
      Gift bag made out of a sugar bag craft
      Craft Uses for Sugar Bags
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 21, 2016 at 12:33:41 AM on 10.0.1.230 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.