Reusing Pet Food Bags

Category Reusing
Reusing Pet Food Bags
Pet food bags can be reused in a variety of ways including crafts. This is a guide about reusing pet food bags.

Instead of watching my outdoor upholstered pillows on my many chairs become faded and mildewed, I decided to stuff them into recycled pet food bags!

I simply used the waterproof bags like giant pillowcases and filled them with my aging, faded outdoor pillows, older bed pillows or blankets. I taped up the tops but if you are more energetic than I you could always whip stitch them closed pretty easily.

Great if you have any big waterproof bags from animal feeds or even grass seed bags!

Ambiance, Donna,

I like it!

Great idea ! :)

If you buy pet food, feed, or flour/sugar/salt in large bags, save those bags when empty. They are just the right size for a kitchen trash can and are very sturdy - more so than the plastic trash bags.

We usually empty 2 large bags a week that I recycle into trashcan liners. That is a savings of 104 trash bags a year, which amounts to several dollars. (In my area, at the store, a bag of 20 trash bags is $4.98).

I save smaller bags for the bedroom and kitchen wastebaskets.

By mom-from-missouri from NW MO

I save them for pet poo pickup, what goes in, has to come out lol.

Pat

We do the same! Also salt bags work well (de-icer or water softening). :)

I always keep newspaper under the litter boxes in case of "accidents". I found by cutting off the bottoms of the food bags, washing them and laying them flat; that they work well under the newspaper to keep any moisture away for the flooring.

By hoptownracer1 from USA

I like to use the big dog food bags to put the used kitty litter in them and then it doesn't break open and the plastic in it contains the odors very well! I also use an entire box of baking soda under the kitty litter in the litter box to control odors. It works nicely. Robyn

Oops, I forgot to mention the type of pet food bags I am talking about; they are the real sturdy plastic kind made from Duraweave. I really like the suggestions about using the paper pet food bags to put used litter in. I will definitely use that idea! Thanks!

Sew a few bags together to make a 3 1/2' x 6' rectangle. It can be used as a moisture barrier under bedrolls or sleeping bags. A 7' x 6' rectangle can be folded in half to cover both the underneath and top of a bedroll; helps block moisture and wind.

I am a volunteer taking care of stray cats, so I buy 12 bags or 18 lbs of cat food a week. I use all the empty bags to build shelters and food stations, after opening them up, washing with warm water and laundry detergent, and hanging to dry.

Of course, I use structured material I get for free like strong cardbord boxes, bottle crates, coolers, or something else good I eventually find. I place it in the area I use to take care of the cats. The rest, I place in any woods I pass by, so some other animals can have some nice shelter with straw beds. Even those made with cardboard boxes can last a long time!

I use our empty, large dog food bags to hold our cardboard recycling such as pizza boxes, pop/soda cartons, cereal boxes, etc., anything that comes in cardboard. This saves space in my recycling bin, plus the bag gets recycled as well.

By alibeth05 from Michigan City, IN

Great idea! Never would have thought of it. I recycle all paper and cardboard, and it never dawned on me to put these bags in too! Duh!

This is a guide about making a tote bag from a dog food bag. Use the woven fabric from bulk pet food to make sturdy totes.

finished tote made from a dog food bag

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making a dog food bag rug. Heavy duty dog food bags are the perfect material for making a rug.

Dog Food Bag Rug

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making an organizer from pet food bags. You can make organizers for storing a wide variety of supplies from empty pet food bags.

Making an Organizer from Pet Food Bags

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

What are some uses for cat and dog pet food bags? I used some pet food and litter bags this week as weed blocking plastic. I just pulled the bulk of the weeds, laid down the bags (with the bottoms cut out and opened) and covered with mulch.

Do you have any other ideas for using pet food bags?

Hardiness Zone: 6b

By C from USA

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Those bags are great because they are so sturdy. I have used them in the past when pruning rose bushes-just carefully put your cuttings into the bag and they won't cut through. Can also be used for other yard and garden cuttings that are hard or can cut through regular bags. Plus they often stand up on their own.

Best Answer

I agree about using the bags for garden cleanup. Our recent rains gave me an excellent crop of weeds and I used the bags to collect them. Too bad weeds are not a cash crop, I would be rich, lol. I always use the bags to collect my dogs' droppings. I put one in a trash can and use an old broom and a long handled dust pan. It makes cleanup easy.

Pat

Best Answer

I use them in my big freezer to store food for longer periods of time, particularly when we are gone for 4 months during the winter. It adds extra protection for all my frozen foods, and I can get tons in the big 40 to 50 pound bags.

Best Answer

I use empty cat food bags to put wet cat litter in when I clean out the litter boxes. Every time I add more litter to the bag I sprinkle it with baking soda. I use the baking soda which was previously in the fridge or freezer. Reduce ~ Reuse ~ Recycle

Thank you for that idea! Can't wait to use it. In fact, I have an empty bag now, and I need to trim and do some weeding.

Whew! Desertgal, I'm glad you said it, I thought we were the only ones who recycled dog food bags collecting dog poop. Hate to admit it, but once hubby has about a third of a bag's worth, it gets packed up with the rest of the garbage on trash day. It isn't exactly lightweight (we have two 65-pounders and a mastiff.) It's a wonder the trash man hasn't gotten a hernia lifting it!

Before hubby thought of this use, though, we always used the empty 40-50-pound bags as kitchen garbage bags. Sure saved on commercially-bought kitchen bags!

Can't wait to use the pet food bags for putting used litter in! Great idea! I have some of the plastic style bags that are made of Duraweave. I love coming up with ways to use them; such as making bags, organizers etc, as they are so indestructible. The bird food bags are really pretty also and make gorgeous bags and items.

What can I do with the empty dry dog food bags?

By Joy from FL

Best Answer

I use mine for particularly heavy trash items such as kitty litter. It will not break like most trash bags will break.

Blessings, Robyn

Best Answer

Sew several bags together to make a "sheet" to go under a dog's bed clothes. Often animals lay on blankets that can get wet from the ground, etc. Just put this under the blankets and keep them dry.

Best Answer

Use as tall kitchen garbage bags. Fill and staple shut. You just saved money on garbage bags!

Best Answer

Place card board products you are going to recycle like pop cases, cereal boxes, pizza boxes, etc. in bag.

I save dog food bags to put smelly garbage in and staple the opening closed.

The bags are thick and strong, they seal the smell in and keep the flies out.

People have been making bags out of them with sewn edges and handles, etc. Here's a google link.

http://www.clot  p;article_id=733

I say more power to them!

I save the dog food bags and also the birdseed bags to store my newspapers in until I take them to the recycler.

Harlean from Arkansas

Ever since Purina began using of the large size polypropylene "DuraWeave" bags I have been saving them, certain a good use would arise and they would not go to waste. In particular, my first thought had been how well these might be used for sandbagging in flood situations, or passed out to victims of tornado or other disaster for salvage/clean-up efforts.

I now have roughly 500 of these, mostly the 16-18lb cat food size, but also a number of 25-33lb as well, and to my surprise, as yet have found no one interested in them. I have even contacted Purina in regard to this, and they knew of no outlets except that of their being a #5 recyclable material. Unfortunately in my location I have found no options unless I wished to pay for them to be taken for recycling. Anyone here have any good ideas along these lines?

By David

Best Answer

Donate some to a local girl scout troop to make Sit-Upons.

Check terracycle.com to see if they are interested in them.

A scout troop can use them. Turn the edge over and install a drawstring. Very handy to keep camping stuff and firewood dry.

Insert an old bed pillow; baste closed. Put into and old pillowcase for a pet bed. Rescue organizations can use these in cages and kennels.

Best Answer

Have you tried Craig's list or freecycle! Either of these may have someone interested in the bags. Good luck!

If they are the kind you can make into shopping bags, sell or give them to the people who make them, assuming you have anyone local. Here is what they look like so you know if the bag is the right kind.

https://www.goo  1024&bih=677

If you can't find anyone who makes them by advertising on Craigslist, you might donate them back to the pet shelters.

I hope this helps.

Sandbags must be porous. I have HUGE stacks of these..two 31lbs a week. No one wants them. You can only make so many tote bags!

How do you make a purse out of a dog food bag?

Tammy from Crescent Springs, KY

Best Answer

If the bag is made of two layers (paper on the outside, waxed paper on the inside) I would separate the two layers and discard the inside layer. Then use clear Contact paper to laminate the paper. Now look on ThriftyFun or Google for a pattern using Capri Sun drink packets. Hope this helps.

I don't want to use it as a purse. I would like to use it as a travel bag for my dog's treats or dog food. I wanted to create something that resembled that plus help the environment and recycle. Thanks for asking.

I'm sorry to ask this, but why would you want to? It would get a rancid smell. Perhaps a different bag? If you just want the outer label part, I'm sure you could separate it, photocopy it onto iron-on transfer paper, and then iron it onto a cotton fabric.

Are the pet food totes machine washable? Thanks.

By Debbie from OH

Answer Was this helpful? 17
Best Answer

Debbie, I would suspect these bags are washable since they are made of plastic, though I would be careful how you wash them maybe on gentle with warm or cold water or just use a wet cloth and air dry.

I have seen large Birdseed bags and other animal food bags made with Duraweave. It is heavier than the paper styled bags; it has a slick texture and has strands of plastic weaved throughout the inside of the bag.

I am looking for empty pet food bags to make recycled totes in the SE part of Wisconsin. I am especially looking for large Pro Plan bags. Any suggestions?

There are plenty of feed mills in Wisconsin. Go to www.yellowpages.com.

Anonymous

You can ask your local animal shelter to save them for you or put a flyer up at veterinarian office.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Recycle a small cat food sack into a cold sack. Cat food bags are plastic coated and have multiple layers. Turn them inside out, wash by hand and you have a cold sack that really works great. A half gallon of ice cream slips right in. Just fold the top down, put a clip on or large rubber band and your ice cream will still be frozen when you get home.

By Ann from Loup City, NE

ice-cream container in cat food bag

Comment Like this photo? 6

I buy dog food in 25-40 lb bags. When they are empty I use them as garbage sacks. I also reuse the small plastic grocery bags to line small trash cans around the house.

Another tip is to keep gallon milk jugs and antifreeze containers to put used motor oil, transmission fluid and antifreeze in for recycling.

By lambom from Nampa, ID

Answers:

Reuse Bags And Containers For Household Waste

13 gallon kitchen bags are so expensive and if the garbage smells, you may need to dispose of it before it is full. Here is what I do:

When buying groceries, ask for paper bags, not plastic. Line your kitchen trash bin with a liner and put a paper bag inside. When it gets full or starts to smell, take out the paper bag and put it in a 33 gallon trash can with a liner; replace the paper bag. You may use the same liner for weeks or even months. Another hint: place a dryer sheet between the liner and the paper bag, don't waste your money on 'odor control' liners.

Depending on your family size or the volume of garbage, you may only need to take the 33 gallon bag out every 2 weeks or a month. Not only does this save you money, it saves time taking our your garbage and it's better for the environment! (01/23/2010)

By mare1909

I also save and reuse the large plastic bags that mulch comes in for yard waste that we are unable to compost. They are thick, heavy, and hold quite a bit. Whenever we buy something large that is covered in a plastic bag (like a room air purifier), I use that bag for trash too. Even though our city says trash must be placed in garbage bags and not 'store' plastic bags, we have had no problems with since we place the full bags in a trash can. (01/24/2010)

By susanmajp

Want to see the effects of using plastic grocery bags and plastic bottles and other things plastic? Click on the link below. We have become a throw-away world. Think back to when you were a kid. Your parents didn't use plastic trash bags - they used paper. They didn't throw a bunch of wet stuff in the trash - they avoided doing that. You also drank water from a glass.

Plastic grocery bags are laying in our streets, hanging from our trees, floating in our oceans, buried in our dirt and they line the bottoms and shores of lakes and streams. Animals eat them and die. We will pay dearly for the "convenience" of using plastics. I'm on an Environmental Commission and planning our 20th annual Earth Day event. Our theme this year is "Back to Basics". Give that some thought. what can you do to help stop this:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/science/06/08/ocean.trash.report/index.html#cnnSTCOther1 (01/31/2010)

By ahastings7878

RE: Reuse Bags And Containers For Household Waste

What are good uses for the bags that dog food comes in?

Answers:

Dog Food Bags for Trash

Use empty dog food bags as trash bags to save on trash bags. (02/28/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Uses for Dog Food Bags

I use my empty dog food bags to hold weeds, sticks, and cuttings from the yard. The sticks, vines, etc. don't poke through like they do with plastic. (02/28/2005)

By debbie e

Uses for Dog Food Bags

I save all my newspapers for a friend who shreds them to use for pet bedding. I just poke them in the empty dog food bags and when it is full, I take them to her. Also use them when cleaning out manure from under my rabbit cages. Gardening friends are always happy to receive a bag for composting and fertilizing their garden. (02/28/2005)

By Harlean from Arkansas

Uses for Dog Food Bags

We use our dog and cat food bags for recycling cardboard and newspaper. The whole thing goes in the same place! (02/28/2005)

By Wynd

Uses for Dog Food Bags

1) You could line a dog house with empty dog food bags as insulation. There is little danger of fire.
2) You could use a bag in your trunk to store tire chains and stuff until next winter.
3) You could tear out the inside paper liner of the bag and mulch it with Earth for shrubs and your plants.
4) You could put a few of those bags folded up in your trunk for when you go bank fishing to keep from getting too muddy sitting on the ground.
5) You could also use them if you need to get on the ground to change a tire. (Keep your pants cleaner.) (02/28/2005)

By Mr. Thrifty

Uses for Dog Food Bags

I use them to put the end products of dog food in. I pick up the stool and put in the bag with the top rolled down until garbage day. It keeps the smell down and no leaks, it's hard to tear as well. Works for cat litter too. (02/28/2005)

By Susan from Hamilton

Uses for Dog Food Bags

I would say some good uses would be to use the bag for yard clean up to include weeds, dog poop, limbs and branches, and rocks. Also, you could use it to put grass in if you bag your grass when you mow. (03/01/2005)

By acope

Uses for Dog Food Bags

I remember my mother used to store her yarn in these years ago. She never had a moth problem and the yarn really did not pick up the "dog food smell" either. (03/11/2005)

By michelle h

Uses for Dog Food Bags

We use the 50# bags that wild bird food comes in to take firewood to friends for their outdoor fire pits. It sure helps with loading and unloading. (03/14/2005)

By badwater

Uses for Dog Food Bags

All the purchased pet food bags have a plastic inner lining; there are now pet food bags that are all plastic. These make great 'pads' on which to place newspaper if you're house-training a puppy. It also works well underneath the kitty litter box.

When you clean out your refrigerator you could use them, because they're thick and hold liquids and odors. They're easy to staple shut to keep items inside securely. They make great bags into which to toss the stuff from the kitty litter box or pet accident clean up anywhere in the house.

They're great for de-cluttering little stuff you'd rather a 'dumpster diver' didn't touch.

Although noisy, they'd be great use underneath a sick patient or child growing up, as a barrier between bed and person to keep the mattress dry. (05/06/2005)

By gator10tx

Uses for Dog Food Bags

They make really good trash bags. Especially if you buy the larger bags. (06/16/2009)

By BenjiTheKid

Uses for Dog Food Bags

I really enjoy all of these ideas. I have made tote bags out of Tidy Cat plastic bags. I also use pet food bags for disposal of litter. They are great for fridge cleaning. (09/08/2009)

By captarlo