Reusing Pet Food Bags

Pet food bags can be reused in a variety of ways including crafts. This is a guide about reusing pet food bags.

July 23, 2015 Flag

Instead of watching my outdoor upholstered pillows on my many chairs become faded and mildewed, I decided to stuff them into recycled pet food bags!

I simply used the waterproof bags like giant pillowcases and filled them with my aging, faded outdoor pillows, older bed pillows or blankets. I taped up the tops but if you are more energetic than I you could always whip stitch them closed pretty easily.

Great if you have any big waterproof bags from animal feeds or even grass seed bags!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Ambiance, Donna,

I like it!

November 15, 2015 Flag

Sew a few bags together to make a 3 1/2' x 6' rectangle. It can be used as a moisture barrier under bedrolls or sleeping bags. A 7' x 6' rectangle can be folded in half to cover both the underneath and top of a bedroll; helps block moisture and wind.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 26, 2016 Flag

finished tote made from a dog food bag

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making a tote bag from a dog food bag. Use the woven fabric from bulk pet food to make sturdy totes.

February 13, 2011 Flag

If you buy pet food, feed, or flour/sugar/salt in large bags, save those bags when empty. They are just the right size for a kitchen trash can and are very sturdy - more so than the plastic trash bags.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 26, 2010 Flag

I always keep newspaper under the litter boxes in case of "accidents". I found by cutting off the bottoms of the food bags, washing them and laying them flat; that they work well under the newspaper to keep any moisture away for the flooring.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 26, 2015 Flag

I am a volunteer taking care of stray cats, so I buy 12 bags or 18 lbs of cat food a week. I use all the empty bags to build shelters and food stations.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 22, 2011 Flag

I use our empty, large dog food bags to hold our cardboard recycling such as pizza boxes, pop/soda cartons, cereal boxes, etc., anything that comes in cardboard. This saves space in my recycling bin, plus the bag gets recycled as well.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 4, 2016 Flag

Dog Food Bag Rug

This is a guide about making a dog food bag rug. Heavy duty dog food bags are the perfect material for making a rug.

May 14, 2013 Flag

Making an Organizer from Pet Food Bags

This is a guide about making an organizer from pet food bags. You can make organizers for storing a wide variety of supplies from empty pet food bags.

April 20, 2010 Flag

What are some uses for cat and dog pet food bags? I used some pet food and litter bags this week as weed blocking plastic. I just pulled the bulk of the weeds, laid down the bags (with the bottoms cut out and opened) and covered with mulch.

Do you have any other ideas for using pet food bags?

Hardiness Zone: 6b

By C from USA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I agree about using the bags for garden cleanup. Our recent rains gave me an excellent crop of weeds and I used the bags to collect them. Too bad weeds are not a cash crop, I would be rich, lol. I always use the bags to collect my dogs' droppings. I put one in a trash can and use an old broom and a long handled dust pan. It makes cleanup easy.

Pat

Best Answer

I use them in my big freezer to store food for longer periods of time, particularly when we are gone for 4 months during the winter. It adds extra protection for all my frozen foods, and I can get tons in the big 40 to 50 pound bags.

December 12, 2011 Flag

What can I do with the empty dry dog food bags?

By Joy from FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Use as tall kitchen garbage bags. Fill and staple shut. You just saved money on garbage bags!

Best Answer

Place card board products you are going to recycle like pop cases, cereal boxes, pizza boxes, etc. in bag.

September 2, 2013 Flag

Ever since Purina began using of the large size polypropylene "DuraWeave" bags I have been saving them, certain a good use would arise and they would not go to waste. In particular, my first thought had been how well these might be used for sandbagging in flood situations, or passed out to victims of tornado or other disaster for salvage/clean-up efforts.

I now have roughly 500 of these, mostly the 16-18lb cat food size, but also a number of 25-33lb as well, and to my surprise, as yet have found no one interested in them. I have even contacted Purina in regard to this, and they knew of no outlets except that of their being a #5 recyclable material. Unfortunately in my location I have found no options unless I wished to pay for them to be taken for recycling. Anyone here have any good ideas along these lines?

By David

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Have you tried Craig's list or freecycle! Either of these may have someone interested in the bags. Good luck!

Best Answer

Donate some to a local girl scout troop to make Sit-Upons.

Check terracycle.com to see if they are interested in them.

A scout troop can use them. Turn the edge over and install a drawstring. Very handy to keep camping stuff and firewood dry.

Insert an old bed pillow; baste closed. Put into and old pillowcase for a pet bed. Rescue organizations can use these in cages and kennels.

March 22, 2016 Flag

I am looking for empty pet food bags to make recycled totes in the SE part of Wisconsin. I am especially looking for large Pro Plan bags. Any suggestions?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There are plenty of feed mills in Wisconsin. Go to www.yellowpages.com.

You can ask your local animal shelter to save them for you or put a flyer up at veterinarian office.

May 8, 2008 Flag

How do you make a purse out of a dog food bag?

Tammy from Crescent Springs, KY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

If the bag is made of two layers (paper on the outside, waxed paper on the inside) I would separate the two layers and discard the inside layer. Then use clear Contact paper to laminate the paper. Now look on ThriftyFun or Google for a pattern using Capri Sun drink packets. Hope this helps.

I'm sorry to ask this, but why would you want to? It would get a rancid smell. Perhaps a different bag? If you just want the outer label part, I'm sure you could separate it, photocopy it onto iron-on transfer paper, and then iron it onto a cotton fabric.

October 13, 2010 Flag

Are the pet food totes machine washable? Thanks.

By Debbie from OH

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Debbie, I would suspect these bags are washable since they are made of plastic, though I would be careful how you wash them maybe on gentle with warm or cold water or just use a wet cloth and air dry.

I have seen large Birdseed bags and other animal food bags made with Duraweave. It is heavier than the paper styled bags; it has a slick texture and has strands of plastic weaved throughout the inside of the bag.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photographs. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

August 19, 2010 Flag

Recycle a small cat food sack into a cold sack. Cat food bags are plastic coated and have multiple layers. Turn them inside out, wash by hand and you have a cold sack that really works great. A half gallon of ice cream slips right in. Just fold the top down, put a clip on or large rubber band and your ice cream will still be frozen when you get home.

By Ann from Loup City, NE

ice-cream container in cat food bag

CommentLike this photo?Like? Yes

February 11, 2011 Flag

I buy dog food in 25-40 lb bags. When they are empty I use them as garbage sacks. I also reuse the small plastic grocery bags to line small trash cans around the house.

Another tip is to keep gallon milk jugs and antifreeze containers to put used motor oil, transmission fluid and antifreeze in for recycling.

By lambom from Nampa, ID

Answers:

Reuse Bags And Containers For Household Waste

13 gallon kitchen bags are so expensive and if the garbage smells, you may need to dispose of it before it is full. Here is what I do:

When buying groceries, ask for paper bags, not plastic. Line your kitchen trash bin with a liner and put a paper bag inside. When it gets full or starts to smell, take out the paper bag and put it in a 33 gallon trash can with a liner; replace the paper bag. You may use the same liner for weeks or even months. Another hint: place a dryer sheet between the liner and the paper bag, don't waste your money on 'odor control' liners.

Depending on your family size or the volume of garbage, you may only need to take the 33 gallon bag out every 2 weeks or a month. Not only does this save you money, it saves time taking our your garbage and it's better for the environment! (01/23/2010)

By mare1909

I also save and reuse the large plastic bags that mulch comes in for yard waste that we are unable to compost. They are thick, heavy, and hold quite a bit. Whenever we buy something large that is covered in a plastic bag (like a room air purifier), I use that bag for trash too. Even though our city says trash must be placed in garbage bags and not 'store' plastic bags, we have had no problems with since we place the full bags in a trash can. (01/24/2010)

By susanmajp

Want to see the effects of using plastic grocery bags and plastic bottles and other things plastic? Click on the link below. We have become a throw-away world. Think back to when you were a kid. Your parents didn't use plastic trash bags - they used paper. They didn't throw a bunch of wet stuff in the trash - they avoided doing that. You also drank water from a glass.

Plastic grocery bags are laying in our streets, hanging from our trees, floating in our oceans, buried in our dirt and they line the bottoms and shores of lakes and streams. Animals eat them and die. We will pay dearly for the "convenience" of using plastics. I'm on an Environmental Commission and planning our 20th annual Earth Day event. Our theme this year is "Back to Basics". Give that some thought. what can you do to help stop this:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/science/06/08/ocean.trash.report/index.html#cnnSTCOther1 (01/31/2010)

By ahastings7878

RE: Reuse Bags And Containers For Household Waste

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 20, 2010 Flag

What are good uses for the bags that dog food comes in?

Answers:

Dog Food Bags for Trash

Use empty dog food bags as trash bags to save on trash bags. (02/28/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Uses for Dog Food Bags

I use my empty dog food bags to hold weeds, sticks, and cuttings from the yard. The sticks, vines, etc. don't poke through like they do with plastic. (02/28/2005)

By debbie e

Uses for Dog Food Bags

I save all my newspapers for a friend who shreds them to use for pet bedding. I just poke them in the empty dog food bags and when it is full, I take them to her. Also use them when cleaning out manure from under my rabbit cages. Gardening friends are always happy to receive a bag for composting and fertilizing their garden. (02/28/2005)

By Harlean from Arkansas

Uses for Dog Food Bags

We use our dog and cat food bags for recycling cardboard and newspaper. The whole thing goes in the same place! (02/28/2005)

By Wynd

Uses for Dog Food Bags

1) You could line a dog house with empty dog food bags as insulation. There is little danger of fire.
2) You could use a bag in your trunk to store tire chains and stuff until next winter.
3) You could tear out the inside paper liner of the bag and mulch it with Earth for shrubs and your plants.
4) You could put a few of those bags folded up in your trunk for when you go bank fishing to keep from getting too muddy sitting on the ground.
5) You could also use them if you need to get on the ground to change a tire. (Keep your pants cleaner.) (02/28/2005)

By Mr. Thrifty

Uses for Dog Food Bags

I use them to put the end products of dog food in. I pick up the stool and put in the bag with the top rolled down until garbage day. It keeps the smell down and no leaks, it's hard to tear as well. Works for cat litter too. (02/28/2005)

By Susan from Hamilton

Uses for Dog Food Bags

I would say some good uses would be to use the bag for yard clean up to include weeds, dog poop, limbs and branches, and rocks. Also, you could use it to put grass in if you bag your grass when you mow. (03/01/2005)

By acope

Uses for Dog Food Bags

I remember my mother used to store her yarn in these years ago. She never had a moth problem and the yarn really did not pick up the "dog food smell" either. (03/11/2005)

By michelle h

Uses for Dog Food Bags

We use the 50# bags that wild bird food comes in to take firewood to friends for their outdoor fire pits. It sure helps with loading and unloading. (03/14/2005)

By badwater

Uses for Dog Food Bags

All the purchased pet food bags have a plastic inner lining; there are now pet food bags that are all plastic. These make great 'pads' on which to place newspaper if you're house-training a puppy. It also works well underneath the kitty litter box.

When you clean out your refrigerator you could use them, because they're thick and hold liquids and odors. They're easy to staple shut to keep items inside securely. They make great bags into which to toss the stuff from the kitty litter box or pet accident clean up anywhere in the house.

They're great for de-cluttering little stuff you'd rather a 'dumpster diver' didn't touch.

Although noisy, they'd be great use underneath a sick patient or child growing up, as a barrier between bed and person to keep the mattress dry. (05/06/2005)

By gator10tx

Uses for Dog Food Bags

They make really good trash bags. Especially if you buy the larger bags. (06/16/2009)

By BenjiTheKid

Uses for Dog Food Bags

I really enjoy all of these ideas. I have made tote bags out of Tidy Cat plastic bags. I also use pet food bags for disposal of litter. They are great for fridge cleaning. (09/08/2009)

By captarlo

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Better Living Green Living ReusingJanuary 25, 2013
finished tote made from a dog food bag
Making a Tote Bag from a Dog Food Bag
Dog Food Bag Rug
Making a Dog Food Bag Rug
Pet Food in Bowl
Buying Pet Food
Craft Organizer From Dog Food Bag
Making an Organizer from Pet Food Bags
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 24, 2017 at 1:31:05 PM on 10.0.0.173 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.