Grapefruit For A Cold

An old home remedy to help sweat out a cold. Wash the skin of one or two grapefruit thoroughly and cut into chunks. Cover with an inch or so of water in a one quart saucepan and simmer for about an hour. Strain off the juice, sweeten with honey if desired, and drink at least half a cup of the mixture. Go to bed, cover up well, and when you wake, re-heat and drink the rest.

By duckie-do from Cortez, CO

When I had a cold as a child, my mother used to just throw a whole grapefruit in a pot of water, boil it until it was soft, then discard it and give me the water with honey as a tea. "Drink it down," she always said, "the quinine from the grapefruit is good for you." And so it was; it whipped my cold!

Now, as an adult, I continue to steer clear of medicines. When I'm feeling a little out of sorts, I shun OTC products and turn to a grapefruit for a pot a tea!

'Looks like this fruit has a string of other benefits, as well:

Just one caution. People who are on certain medications should not eat or drink anything with grapefruit. It will usually tell you on the printout that you get with the prescription, but if you're unsure just ask your doctor or pharmacist. I am on Zocor for my cholesterol and that's one of the medications that reacts with grapefruit.

Blood pressure meds are one of the RX that are in the group to avoid grapefruit in any form.

I can't say that I am looking forward to my next cold to try this, but I am bookmarking it! It has to be healthier than taking cold medicine.

Woman With A Cold
Homemade Cold Remedies
Health & Beauty Home RemediesOctober 8, 2010
Grapefruit slices in a canning jar.
Canning Grapefruit
grapefruit on branch with a slice in foreground
Growing Grapefruit from Seed
Grapfruit wedge with grapefruits in the background.
Storing Grapefruit
Dried Grapefruit Orange and Lime Slices
Drying Grapefruit