- 1 1/3 cup ginger snap cookie crumbs
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 tsp. finely chopped candied ginger
- 1/4 tsp. grated grapefruit rind
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup fresh grapefruit juice
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, whipped
- fresh grapefruit sections
Combine crumbs, butter and 1/4 cup sugar in bowl, mixing well. Press into 9 inch pie plate. Combine gelatin, 1/2 cup sugar, ginger and rind in saucepan. Beat egg yolks with grapefruit juice and stir into gelatin mixture.
Cook over low heat until gelatin dissolves and mixture thickens slightly, stirring constantly. Chill until mixture mounds when dropped from spoon. Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Add remaining 1/4 cup sugar gradually, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold into cooled gelatin mixture. Fold in whipped cream. Pour into prepared crust. Chill until set. Garnish with additional whipped cream and grapefruit sections.
By Robin from Washington, IA