Removing Carbon from a Pan Bottom

How do I clean thick carbon off a thick bottom frying pan. It's old but fab, the type your gran had, but it's covered with 1/8 of an inch of thick black hard carbon. I think thats what it is!

Samantha from Kent, England

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Most likely it is a cast iron skillet. Mom used (and still does) to get a pile of leaves burning and toss her skillet into the fire to cook that mess off. Just make sure there is not a burn ban first.

If it is something else, let us know. Usually I use brillo pad to get burned on foods from other pots and pans that don't have Teflon.

if its a cast iron skillet, just throw it in the hot coals after grilling. It will burn all the gunk off. Wash it well after it cools and reseason.

I have not tried this but people say it works-- take a garbage bag and put the pan in and add ammonia and leave this set overnight (probably in the garage) may have to do it more than once. Can't hurt to try it. janiem

Editor's Note: Don't try this with an aluminum pan, it may discolor it.

I would try oven cleaner. It works on a lot more things than just ovens. Hope it works!!

Pour some cola into the pan bring it to the boil and let it cool, is usually comes off in one piece, sometimes you may have a few little bits to scrub but it usually comes off really easy. I've used this method lots of times and it works! Strange but true.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Home and Garden Cleaning DishesMarch 28, 2007
Carbon Monoxide Alarm
Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
frying pan birdbath
Making a Birdbath from a Frying Pan
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Peter Pan Costume
Green Valentine's Day Ideas, heart shaped leaf
Green Valentine's Day Ideas
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 13, 2016 at 3:59:03 PM on 10.0.0.110 in 753 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.