Rose Beads

Debra Frick

These beads are made from the petals of the rose. It is a great way to save the beauties of the spring and summer. When you wear any jewelry made with these beads the heat of your skin releases the fragrance of the roses they are made from. No need for extra perfume. It is said that these are what the original rosaries were made of.

This is a craft easy enough for children to do and can be quite fun as long as the kids have some adult supervision. This could be done for Girl Scouts or church groups for vacation bible school. Light colored roses will make a brown bead and the darker roses will make beads that are almost black. The materials for this craft are pretty straightforward, but in case you have trouble finding rose essential oil it can be found online just Goggle essential oil. You want perfume oil, as it will have the strongest scent.

• 2 cups of rose petals
  • 1/4 cup of water
  • blender
  • rose essential oil
  • T pins

1. In blender pulverize the rose petals with water scented with the essential oils until they become a paste.
  2. Remove the paste from the blender.
  3. Now roll the paste into small balls. Make your balls a little larger than what you want for a finished size and the beads will shrink as they dry.
  4. Ad

5. Push the t pin through the center of your bead. Now stick these into a piece of Styrofoam to dry. It can take up to 2 weeks for these to dry. As they are drying turn them so that you have a well-formed hole in each.
  6. String in to necklaces and bracelets and anklets.
  7. You can use other beads to complement your dried rose beads. Pearls are really nice with the rose beads that are black. Big bags of assorted colored beads can be found at Walmart or any of the craft stores. These beads are light sensitive so you will want to store them in a nice box with some tissue scented with more of the rose essential oil.

About The Author: Debra Frick is a mother of 5 and a grandmother to 8 grandsons and one granddaughter. She is a published author and poetress. Recycling and saving money are her passions. She also loves crocheting and cooking. She is also a pet rescue volunteer and has many pets of her own.

Cool idea! I like it. Just how much essential oil do you put in per batch? What colors do you get if you use white roses? Thanks, Carol

I would make it strongly scented so it lasts a long time. White rose petals would give you a light yellow colored bead. If you have ever dried rose petals you know that they change color as they dry as would the rose beads. Hope this helps.

You are the answer to my prayers. I have been praying about make real rosary beads for some time, and here you come telling me how to do it. I thank you so much. denise

I just have a question- -is this done with dried rose petals or still fresh ones?

I would love to see a picture of your rose beads, especially a finished rosary!!! Thank you.

Crafts FloralJune 25, 2008
Red Climbing Roses
Transplanting a Climbing Rose Plant
Pony Beads
Crafts Using Pony Beads
Crafts Using Tri-Beads
Rose hips on rough wood background.
Growing Roses from Seed