Slicing Onions

When I'm slicing onions, or anything round, I first cut a slice off one side, then I put the flat side down on the cutting board. When I slice the rest of it, it doesn't roll all over the place.

By Barbie from Chaffee, NY

December 1, 2010 Flag

To slice onions without cutting your fingers and to keep them stable, use a fork (tine size of your choice) to pierce onion, then slice to desired thickness. You may have to re-position fork and onion as the onion gets smaller. Use a shallow bowl if you want to retain the onion juice. This works with other vegetables that are slippery or hard to hold as well.

By Lin from Atascadero, CA

Answers:

Use Fork When Slicing Onions

That is so clever. I don't know why I never thought of that. Thanks. Great tip. (08/24/2010)

By eveh

Use Fork When Slicing Onions

I just tried it today. Wonderful tip! It also works on tomatoes and cukes. I used a large cold meat fork which has more widely spaced tines. Thanks. (08/27/2010)

By MartyD

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsDecember 1, 2010
chopping green onions
Chopping Green Onions
Slice of cantaloupe with other cantaloupes in the background.
Peeling and Slicing Melon
Onions growing in the ground.
Growing Onions
Freezing Green Onions
Freezing Green Onions
🎉
🎄