How Do I Get Rid of Mildew Stains?

My daughter packed away all of her summer clothes and placed them in our basement, unbeknown to us. Over the winter, the ceiling fell through, now all of her clothes are covered in mildew, I have used household bleach, but cannot remove any of this mildew.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

By Tina from England

Salt water kills mold on contact try that, that may help or you could try vanish which is very good at getting rid of mold stains.

July 21, 2010 Flag

We have a laundry chute in our home and I placed my daughter's clothes down the chute and after doing so I forgot that I placed those clothes there and I failed to wash them. The problem started when my husband threw a wet towel on top of those clothes and they are now covered in mildew. Does any one have any tips on how I can remove the stains from my daughter's clothes so I don't have to discard them? Please any tips will be helpful. Thank you all.

How Do I Get Rid of Mildew Stains?

There are several ways to attack mildew stains. If the clothes are bleachable, use chlorine bleach added to the wash cycle along with some borax.

If they are not color safe or are synthetic fabrics, use an oxygen fabric bleach (oxiclean type) and some borax. In either case, lay them flat in the the sun if possible. It helps kill the mildew.

Susan (09/04/2003)

By ThriftyFun

How Do I Get Rid of Mildew Stains?

I left some mildew stained baby clothes in a bucket of water that had about a 1/2 cup of Oxiclean and 1/2 cup of BIZ detergent dissolved in the water. The clothes soaked for about 5 days before all the stain was removed, but it did work. Regular laundry bleach would have destroyed the colored fabric. (02/26/2007)

By maryd

How Do I Get Rid of Mildew Stains?

Lemon juice will remove all mildew stains. Simply pour lemon juice on the item, let it sit for a bit and launder as usual. (09/29/2008)

How Do I Get Rid of Mildew Stains?

They have lots of ways to get rid of mildew. I have mildew in my toilet and I used a SOS pad it really works. Seriously. (10/05/2008)

A cardboard box full of stored clothing.
Removing Mildew Stains on Clothing
Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryJuly 21, 2010
Guy holding his nose because of bad odors.
Getting Rid of Mildew Odors in a House
DampRid Reviews
Cleaning up Mildew From Wood
Removing Mildew from Wood
Photo of a tent set up in the woods.
Removing Mildew from a Tent