Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Cat Scratching, Licking, and Pulling Out Fur

Why is my 14 yr old black Manx cat constantly scratching, pulling at his fur, and licking his fur? He does not have fleas, as I keep Revolution on him every month. He goes outside or can stay inside as he wants. He rarely eats table scraps and is on primarily "urinary health" formula (per vet suggestion due to earlier UTI) with sometimes another good brand mixed in with it for a taste treat.

He eats well and always has fresh water available. He enjoys sitting with my husband and me to get some quality purr time in or sits on our open front porch watching the birds and squirrels. He does not hunt or eat wildlife, too spoiled and lazy for that. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

By Lynda from Tampa Bay area

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By vicki hood [4]01/12/2010

Get some raw in his diet. Nzymes.com for granules. Often flea treatments fail like yorkiepoo is saying.

By DEBY [18]01/10/2010

Sometimes this is just a nervous disorder, or a skin condition, where the skin is very dry and this can be from the inside to the outside. Like ferrets that need furo-tone, a skin and coat supplement that goes into their water because if they don't they will constantly scratch and lick. But don't always rely on your flea medications as I always use the best also from the vet where my sister works and (hey look..There's one). I have a cat that if he gets one flea on him he breaks out in tons of little bumps and licks and scratches. But ask your vet about the nervous disorder, or dry skin condition. If it is I believe they have something to keep him a little calmer or to take care of the dry skin. He must be miserable poor baby.