AdviceDogs

Tying Up a Spaniel's Ears to Dry Them Out

How do you tie your spaniel ears to help dry them out? Any help would be great.

By Julie from Melbourne, Victoria (Australia)

I used to use a clip/spring clothes pin on the hair on the ends of the ears. My Cocker Spaniel never seemed bothered by this.

Please please please don't use a clothes pin! How cruel can somebody be? Try putting one on your own ear and see how it feels. Then think about the poor dog who can't get it off, or if she does, gets it clipped right back on! You shouldn't use any method to hold your dog's ears up. Simply clean them out every few days. I have dachshunds so also have the long ears. I clean their ears out 2-3 times a week and they've never had a problem.

Many times when they flap their heads around their ears stay up. When this happens I do leave them up to give them a chance to get some air in there. But I would never bind them up in any way. Nature made their ears that way for a reason, and I'm not about to mess with Mother Nature!

Anonymous

Mother Nature didn't provide cleaning solution either, but you still do that...

I realize this is an older post but maybe this will help. I own a Brittany spaniel and 2 poodles they love the outside.

When I clip their hair I trim the inside of the ear (which is what you should do) and pull the hair inside the poodle ears and when they lay down they will have enough air. as for drying warm blow dryer works great on low and it feels good. The first few time they may get a little excited but not usually. I find this causes less ear problems. I also trim the length of the hair on the end of the ear so he/she doesn't get their ears into the food.

the clothes pins on the ends of the hair works too but not natural. If it doesn't bother your dog go for it but not on the ear itself.

Anonymous

I have a Cocker Spaniel that is prone to ear infections. I loosen his collar a bit and tuck his ears back under the collar.

I take my dog on a car ride let him hang his head out the window! Dries them up right away and I do this everyday.