Homemade Buttermilk

Earlier in the week, I wanted to make some biscuits but noticed I was out of buttermilk, and didn't want to go to the store. I had an old buttermilk container in the fridge and decided I'd make my own. I know you can make sour milk by adding vinegar or lemon juice to milk in a pinch, but I wanted the real deal.

I grabbed a carton of sour cream, the old container, and milk. I put about 3 tablespoons of the sour cream into the container, then poured just enough milk to be able to shake the container and mix the sour cream into the milk really well. Then I filled the container up with milk. I put the container onto my hot water heater overnight. I kept a check on it and kept it shaken well. The next morning, the milk was perfect! It smelled just like the butter milk you buy in the stores and was very rich and creamy. I made biscuits this morning and they were delicious!

By Bama_jypsy1 from Lanett, AL

You made a version of Crème fraiche and didn't even know it!! Its delicious, and makes the best baked foods!

Buttermilk in a metal cup.
Homemade Buttermilk Recipes
Food and Recipes Food Tips BakingApril 11, 2011
Buttermilk Biscuits
Buttermilk Biscuits Recipes
buttermilk substitute in a bowl
Substitute for Buttermilk in Recipes
Buttermilk Chicken
Buttermilk Chicken Recipes
buttermilk substitute in a bowl
Buttermilk Cake Recipes