How Long Can Shrimp Be Kept Frozen?

I found some forgotten shrimp in the back of the freezer that has been there a while, can I do anything with it? Would boiling it help? I really don't want to throw it out because it was expensive. Any ideas or should I just give up on it? Thanks!

By blueflye

As a rule of thumb, meat can usually be frozen up to a year and vegetables up to 6 months. Most, if not all food items are dated. If older than 1 year, I would pitch it.

In addition to what Amuck suggests, if it's not too old rinse and drain well. Try a bite and if it happens to have a bit of freezer burn taste use it in a recipe or eat it as shrimp cocktail. Once you thaw it be sure to use it within a day !!! Here's a cocktail sauce that will definitely spice it up ;-)

Deeli's Cocktail Sauce

1/3 cup catsup

1 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce

2 Tbsp. lemon juice

1/2 tsp salt

Dash of pepper

Garlic salt

Tabasco sauce

Combine first five ingredients and then add garlic salt to taste and then add Tabasco sauce to taste.

According to the US FDA, food will keep indefinitely in the freezer, provided it is kept at 0 degrees Fahrenheit (-18C) or lower. The quality may be affected however, but it is not unsafe to use.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Food SafetyMay 5, 2009
Shrimp Stir Fry
Shrimp Stir Fry Recipes
Peeling and Deveining Shrimp
Peeling and Deveining Shrimp
Shrimp Grilling in BBQ
Grilled Shrimp Recipes
Cilantro Lime Shrimp
Cilantro Lime Shrimp Recipes