Corning Ware Electric Percolator Basket Too Tall

We found a Corningware percolator, labeled 10 cup, in excellent condition. But the metal "basket" seems to be too tall to fit. There's a small lip attached to the stem that carries the electric current to the heater on the bottom. The lip apparently is meant to fit over the rim of the "basket". Trouble is, the rim of the basket comes up over an inch higher than the lip, and so it won't fit into the pot at all.

My question is: can we find a shorter basket assembly? Or is there something about putting our pot together that we don't understand?

By Donald H. from Houston, TX

I can't help you with your immediate problem other than to suggest finding an elderly person who remembers when those things were popular. He or she will know what to do. If that doesn't work. My DH and I found a lovely Farberware Electric Perk, new, on Amazon.com. It didn't cost a lot and we are delighted with it. We had forgotten the smell of perked coffee in the house. Auto drips don't give you that. If you decide on an electric percolator start it with ice water. It runs on a thermostat and the colder water will allow it to perc longer and give you a richer cuppa.

I measured my metal basket on my 10 cup electric corning ware coffee pot, and it is 2 1/2 inches tall. It is attatched to a metal rod (with a hole in the middle), and both together measure around 8 1/2 inches. I hope you got it to work as I love my coffee pot.

Pat

Have you tried making sure the center 'rod' is correctly in place? I mean perhaps it needs to be seated in the bottom of the pot a certain way? I hope that made sense.

The basket actually screws onto the lid that is why it is taller.

Hi Donald, I did some searching just now and came across the following so it might be best if you call Corning/World Kitchen and explain exactly what you have to them to see if you should even try to use it. It might be one of the percolators that were recalled. I don't know if that's a current 800# but, if it's not, you can easily Google to find it. Hope this helps and Good Luck :-)

__________________________________________

Thank you for contacting World Kitchen, Inc.

Unfortunately there are no parts available for your percolator. All of the Corningware percolators have been discontinued for at least 20 years.

Are you aware that some Corningware percolators were involved in a warning program?

In 1979 Corning initiated a nation-wide warning on most of the Corningware percolators. The epoxy sealant that holds the metal band to the white glass-ceramic pot can become dry and brittle and cause the band to separate from the pot without warning. The handle or band may not become loose.

If the pot is full of hot coffee or other hot liquid, this could be serious. Because of this we recommend that you discontinue use of the percolator for any reason. We also recommend that you do not give or sell your percolator to anyone else.

Should you have any additional questions regarding your percolator, please contact our Help Center at 1-800-999-3436. Representatives are available from 8am to 6pm, EST, Monday through Friday and will be more than happy to assist you.

Sincerely, World Kitchen

Consumer Advice General AdviceOctober 11, 2009
Fishing gear.
Making a Fishing Gift Basket
Electric Blanket
Finding Replacement Cords and Controls for an Electric Blanket
Percolator Filter
Finding Replacement Percolator Parts
A white CorningWare casserole dish.
Cleaning Stained CorningWare
🎄
🍂