Homemade Ice Cream Leaves Waxy Film

When I make homemade ice cream, I get a waxy film on the spoons and even in my mouth. What is this and how can I keep it from happening?

Rachel

Does your recipe have sweetend condensed milk in it? One of my recipes with this gave me the same problem. I just use another recipe now.

Are you sure it is a waxy substance?

A Friend of mine made me a very rich batch of chocolate ice cream, it had something Sticking to the spoon, it seen to coat the inside of my mouth and on closer inspection we figured out it was butter, apparently the cream or half and half What ever she used was so rich with turning the ice cream it actually turned to butter. The next time you make ice cream see if it doesn't have a real buttery taste.

Here is my Recipe for Vanilla Ice Cream, try this one and see if u like it

No Cook Vanilla Ice Cream

5 eggs

2 1/2 cups Sugar

5 Cups Milk(Regular)

1 quart Heavy Cream(I use 5 cans of Evaporated Milk; Pet or Carnation)

2 Tablespoon Vanilla Flavor

1/2 teaspoon Salt

Directions:

Beat Eggs until light and fluffy with electric or hand mixer

Gradually add sugar and continue beating until mixture is stiff. Add remaining ingredients and beat until mixed thoroughly. Pour into a 4 or 6 gallon freezer can and freeze by the freezer's directions.

It is fat, not wax. You are probably using real cream, and if it's heavy cream, you're making butter too.

Rachel- I have the same problem. Even if it is butter, it is still unpleasant. I am going to see if changing the brand of cream and/or churning it a little less will make a difference.

I get the same waxy film and a waxy residue on my tongue too. If it is butter, wouldn't it melt in my mouth? I am wondering if it could be the additives in my whipping cream, which include cellulose gum, microcrystalline cellulose, carrageenan, sugar and whey powder. In my area I can't find cream that doesn't have them. Can anyone comment who uses additive free cream?

Food and Recipes Food Tips Cooking From ScratchAugust 6, 2007
Valentine's ice cream sandwiches.
Ice Cream Cake Hearts
Fried ice cream.
Fried Ice Cream Recipes
Snow Ice Cream
Snow Ice Cream Recipes
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
🎄